my brew had a blowoff is it still good

weldedsord

Premium Member
Reaction score
so I was making a mosaic smash and I checked on it this morning and it was normal then I checked on it tonight and the bung popped off the carboy it made a mess I then quickly added my blowoff tube and cleaned up does anybody think the brew will still be good or should I just toss the batch thank you

so I was making a mosaic smash and I checked on it this morning and it was normal then I checked on it tonight and the bung popped off the carboy it made a mess I then quickly added my blowoff tube and cleaned up does anybody think the brew will still be good or should I just toss the batch thank you
It should be fine. I now use a blow off tube all of the time, it saves the clean up hassle. Definitely don't toss it !

It should be fine, I now use a blow off tube all of the time, it saves the clean up hassle. Definitely don't toss it !
thanks i'm just pretty nervous because this is my first time this kind of thing happened to me

thanks i'm just pretty nervous because this is my first time this kind of thing happened to me
It's happened to me a couple of times and the beers were good. I just sprayed a bit of Starsan before attaching the blowoff tube.

You're not a real brewer until you have had a batch blow the air lock out on you! It is the C02 coming out that blew the air lock out, as long as C02 is coming out nothing bad will get in. I always use a blow off tube, and switch to an air lock either when I dry hop, or check the gravity.

The beer is certainly questionable after this misfortune. You should bottle it up, allow it to condition and then carefully package and ship to me for evaluation. I'll PM the shipping instructions and estimated charges for sensory evaluation.

you will be fine! When you have not much headspace this happens. Maybe bigger blow off tube? Relax and have a homebrew!

That's fine mate. A bigger blow of tube. Just enjoy your homebrew. Cheers!

Back