Norwegian Kveik Yeast Strains Ferment @80-100F

In an APA for example do you find that you have to cut down on the aroma hops or is the citrus character of the yeast not that overpowering?

I adjust recipe to allow for the higher perceived bitterness from using Voss and use hops that complement the esters .
As with many other strains you can adjust ester production by pitching rates and ferment temps

Reactions: Aub
Thanks for the Tips Mark that's cool using yeast slurry as a nutrient smart! Thanks for reminding me of the bitterness with thus yeast. Seems so versitile.

Btw is this Voss strain the only one you've tried out when it comes to kviek?

Sounds similar to the results I have been getting using Imperial A24 Dry Hop. Have to give Loki a shot now that it's a year rounder...

Only one I've used at home, tried beers brewed with hornindol , prefer Voss
Right supposedly hornindal throw that tropical type flavours interesting.

I'm brewing ATM got an early mark from work so gunna cut my teeth on this with 3kg ale .5 Wheat .5 Vienna and .2 home made crystal malt. hopped with Mag 10g then what I've got left of my cascade late in boil.

Last edited:
Only one I've used at home, tried beers brewed with hornindol , prefer Voss
Why did you prefer Voss? I thought about using Hornindal, but I was wondering if it got a little strange with all the tropical fruit esters. Voss just throws of citrus from what I understand, which would work perfect for a West Coast IPA.

20190412_054952.jpg

Its chugging away pretty quick this morning the kviek. Chamber smells lovely and warm.
Here a new brulosophy article on this yeast.

http://brulosophy.com/2019/04/08/fe...ial-yeast-a43-loki-kviek-exbeeriment-results/

Why did you prefer Voss?
Purely subjective, it's also what I have trillions of cells of .

Its chugging away pretty quick this morning the kviek. Chamber smells lovely and warm.

Suspect you'll soon be a Kveik fanatic as well , I read the article and while it helps raise the profile of this unique strain it wasn't used correctly

Purely subjective, it's also what I have trillions of cells of .

Suspect you'll soon be a Kveik fanatic as well , I read the article and while it helps raise the profile of this unique strain it wasn't used correctly
You mean not underpitching as I hear it's sorta the norm with this yeast or your recon not fermented warm enough? Like you said it sure reflects the clean fermentation profile from this yeast strain and incredible ability to attenuate similar when fermented at traditional ale temps or out there exceeding saison temps.

I see 15c -37c on my Loki pack but have seen 40c ferm temps reported online. I sure did dig the short chilling time last night I drained 2lt into Flask and poured a little kviek into this before pitching the rest into fermentor. I havnt looked forward to a beer like this for awhile:D!

Also found I can transfer straight to fermentor in chamber now sweet!
20190412_100737.jpg

I have Voss already and I plan to try it with a porter this weekend cause I'm insane that way.

Well I pitched this yeast around 6PM ish yesterday this photo is taken around 5pm next day and I'm shocked I think it's chewed right through from 1.046 to 1.011 ish in 12 hours @33C :eek::D!
20190412_171501.jpg

I've used Voss, Hothead, Ebbegarden, and Skare kveiks. The latter two were sent to me from Norway dried in 50 mL conical tubes, but perked right up when pitched. The kveiks are beasts. One of our local breweries uses Hothead for every hoppy thing they brew.

Back