Cold crash then bottle advise

Anth M

Trial Member
Reaction score
G'day brewers,

I haven't CCd before and want to try it. I've had an ale in the fridge fermenting at 22C for 9 days and plan to bottle in 5 days. If I was to CC for the last 2-3 days at 3-4C what happens when it's bottling time? I prime bottles with dextrose using the calc on this site and I noticed it takes into account the temp of the wort. Do I need to raise the temp before bottling or leave it and let it rise naturally when I put bottles back in fridge at 22C to carbonate.

Thanks for any tips!

There is a real good explanation in the priming sugar calculator on this site. When you cold crash some C02 in the head of the fermenter will dissolve back into the beer. Before I started kegging, I had some issues with undercarbed bottles with batches that I cold crashed. Others will chime in with helpful advice as well, but have a read on the calculator.

Last edited:
There is a real good explanation in the priming sugar calculator on this site. When you cold crash some C02 in the head of the fermenter will dissolve back into the beer. Before I started kegging, I had some issues with undercarbed bottles with batches that I cold crashed. Others will chime in with helpful advice as well, but have a read on the calculator.
Thanks mate will do.

I prime bottles with dextrose using the calc on this site and I noticed it takes into account the temp of the wort. Do I need to raise the temp before bottling or leave it and let it rise naturally when I put bottles back in fridge at 22C to carbonate.
No need to raise the temp for bottling, though you need to dissolve your priming sugar by boiling in a small amount of water to make a syrup and then make sure that it gets mixed in well. For calculating priming sugar, use the highest temp that your beer achieved during fermentation. It's best to ignore the cold-crash temp in the priming equation. Unless the vessel is under pressure, the re-suspension of CO2 from the headspace is negligible.

No need to raise the temp for bottling, though you need to dissolve your priming sugar by boiling in a small amount of water to make a syrup and then make sure that it gets mixed in well. For calculating priming sugar, use the highest temp that your beer achieved during fermentation. It's best to ignore the cold-crash temp in the priming equation. Unless the vessel is under pressure, the re-suspension of CO2 from the headspace is negligible.
Thanks J A. I do those steps you mentioned about priming sugar. Then I pour it into a bottling bucket, rack wort and bottle from that.

Reactions: J A

Back