Looking for recipe suggestions for stout

jay3847

Trial Member
Reaction score
There are a zillion stout recipes out there, but I'm trying to brew one with particular characteristics. Do you know of a recipe that is:
- dark to the point of a Russian Imperial Stout
- not dry
- tending toward malty instead of hoppy
- tan, lasting foam
- smooth, but not a milk stout. No after bite of bitterness (my RISs always have that bite)
- doesn't drink like a syrup
- oak and vanilla notes preferred

I've been reading Chris Colby's articles, reading lots of recipes, and nothing seems like what I want.

Ideas?

Are you using debittered black malt in your ris that has the bitter bite? If you are using regular black malt, try the debittered version. It is we husked so there is less bitter burnt flavor from it.

I did use 6% Black Patent, 10% roasted barley and 3% chocolate in the last one I made. Would you do a 1 - 1 replacement or just ramp back the black patent and replace with the equivalent % of debittered black?

And just reread the portion of Chris Colby's article and saw "Finally, when some brewers hear about debittered black malt, they rush to adjust their recipes to use this “mellower” grain. I would recommend at least contemplating if the “harsher” aspects of black malt might actually benefit your beer. Just as a very hoppy IPA benefits from a little bit of a cohumulone “bite” — in my opinion, at least — I think extremely big stouts benefit from a little bit of “sharp” dark grain bitterness and astringency. This “rough edge” keeps the malt character from being too soft and polished. In particular, if you’re going to brew an aggressively hoppy version of this style, don’t round off all the edges of the malt profile. It should (more than) hold its own against the hops."

I guess I do want to leave some in there.

Echoing the thoughts of others here as I don't brew dark beers but seldomly is to cap your mash with the darker more roasted grains. Oooorrr do a cold steep over night and add steepidge to your boil.

And just reread the portion of Chris Colby's article and saw "Finally, when some brewers hear about debittered black malt, they rush to adjust their recipes to use this “mellower” grain. I would recommend at least contemplating if the “harsher” aspects of black malt might actually benefit your beer. Just as a very hoppy IPA benefits from a little bit of a cohumulone “bite” — in my opinion, at least — I think extremely big stouts benefit from a little bit of “sharp” dark grain bitterness and astringency. This “rough edge” keeps the malt character from being too soft and polished. In particular, if you’re going to brew an aggressively hoppy version of this style, don’t round off all the edges of the malt profile. It should (more than) hold its own against the hops."

I guess I do want to leave some in there.

I agree with that write up fully. There are all kinds of stouts but if you want a ris go big or go elsewhere. They do mellow on the shelf. Your description of what you want in your beer is more a baltic or robust porter imo(which are very good beers). I like to use Scottish ale yeast as it keeps the malt and hops forward and leaves the beer clean of yeast flavor. Could throw in a vanilla bean or oak cubes in most any recipe. Cheers!

Depends on how bad the bitter bite is, but 50% changed to debittered black malt should smooth it some while leaving enough to balance.

Depends on how bad the bitter bite is, but 50% changed to debittered black malt should smooth it some while leaving enough to balance.

I agree. In the end it all depends on preference. I myself prefer a smoother roasted quality in my darker beers and have settled on carafa special (dehusked) for those...

I think when you're doing stouts/porters above 7% you don't really need the de-bittered black. Probably better off dropping it altogether and replacing it with base malt and other dark malts to give you the complexity that ABV deserves. A touch of dark crystal, or some carafa, or special B or a mix of them will help balance the dry roast grains you've got. Flaked barley or oats if they're not in there. It'll be dark enough with the roasted/crystal malts anyway.

This one is my all-time favorite: https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/edit/748680
(Ignore the mash pH of 4.31- actual mash pH is 5.55). It's not bitter, and has a nice coffee roast to it instead of a burnt barley acrid roast. I love this beer, and the pale chocolate malt and the black barley (not patent!) that makes it work so well.

Recipe not shared Yooper!

Weird- because it is shared according to my recipe. You get a "you don't have permission" error if you try to see it?

Weird- because it is shared according to my recipe. You get a "you don't have permission" error if you try to see it?

Yeah. Getting this:

Permission Error

Our apologies... it appears you may have attempted to access data that belongs to another user and is protected or was deleted.

Some recipes are marked private by their owner. This is the system default for security reasons. You may need to contact the brewer and get them to share the recipe first.

I put in a ticket for it- as it is definitely shared! It's not usual that I find bugs myself, but this one seems to be. Thanks for the heads up, and I'll get that fixed.

That looks pretty good, Yooper.

Thank you, everyone, for the suggestions. I am taking a 3 week hiatus from brewing (while on vacation!), and will enjoy finishing the stout recipe while sitting with a beer in one hand and the ocean in the distance. I'll report back after brewing.

Yep, I was just going to post that! Thanks for setting me straight.
That recipe sure looks different than my other recipes in the editor.
Screenshot_20190411-054107_Edge.jpg

Last edited:
I imported it a long time ago from a different software and that's why it looks weird.

Back