Brew Session Volumes

drjalgajer

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I tried looking this up so as not to ask the same questions someone else already has but I couldn't find the specific answer I need.

Are the brew session volume targets (pre-boil, post-boil) all assuming a temperature of 68 degrees F or does the software account for when you are measuring volume. Ie. Post mash volume calculated at mash temp?

Maybe I am being too neurotic about all this but I just like to see my brew hit the targets so I know my process is sound. The different temps at which I take volume calcs are confusing me.

TIA!

There’s less than ~5% volume differential between boiling and 68-70 (f), so either way, you won’t be far off. I personally don’t use the recipe builder on this site, but I am pretty sure the volumes are all based on 68-70 (f).

As an example, I do use the Infusion calculator on this site, and I’ve always measured the strike water volume from whatever the temp of the water was. I use a graduated stainless still measuring stick to guide when adding strike water to HLT prior to heating it to the calculated temp for strike water. And have always been +/- a degree of mash temp.

Hi all,

I tried looking this up so as not to ask the same questions someone else already has but I couldn't find the specific answer I need.

Are the brew session volume targets (pre-boil, post-boil) all assuming a temperature of 68 degrees F or does the software account for when you are measuring volume. Ie. Post mash volume calculated at mash temp?

Maybe I am being too neurotic about all this but I just like to see my brew hit the targets so I know my process is sound. The different temps at which I take volume calcs are confusing me.

TIA!
I always wonder the same thing.

I've always just assumed the measurements were "at temperature." I know that wort shrinks about 4% from boil to pitch temp but I guess I'm just not that concerned over the cup or two of volume that the temperature difference could make.

Back