BIG DECISION

Kane Brews

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
We have a small batch ready to keg; it's too much to fit in our 1.75 Mini Keg (about 2.5 gallons)

Multiple choice question:

#1 - put what we can in mini keg, leaving head space, and bottle the rest (least appealing at the moment but probably best choice).

#2 - put half in the mini keg leave the rest in the secondary (3 gallon bucket), after we kill the mini keg, do a second batch into the mini keg. (Most appealing)

#3 - Empty our three gallon keg (which should have been empty by now!) into a couple growlers, clean it out and use that.

Thoughts?

Emptying kegs is what you have friends for. :D :D
#3 is a no-brainer. ;)

#3 is my vote as well
I drained a keg into bottles earlier this month for that very reason.

#3. Less complexity. I quote my original role model Montgomery Scott, the more they overrate the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain. Keep it simple and drain the keg.

Ahhhhh #4, that works too Mr. White

Votes are in, #3 is the winner. Couldn’t drain the 3 gal tonight, out & about. Buddy Dave coming at 10am for tree work, beer for breakfast it is.

Me I'd do #4 let it wait till I empty that keg then transfer that ready to keg beer in it won't hurt to let it sit.
All well and good if it's only a few days and/or the temp is controlled.
If it's in cold-crash and stoppered tight, it could sit for quite a while but I don't trust letting a finished beer sit any longer than it absolutely has to when it's at a temp that could encourage any stray organisms that may find their way in.

All well and good if it's only a few days and/or the temp is controlled.
If it's in cold-crash and stoppered tight, it could sit for quite a while but I don't trust letting a finished beer sit any longer than it absolutely has to when it's at a temp that could encourage any stray organisms that may find their way in.
Well maybe I shoulda read the post more carefully. All my beers Finnish at 0c so if keg ain't free guess what that beer can wait. I'm sure up at 18c or so no harm can come of it neither "If" care and attention to cleaning sanitiaton adheared to.;)

Reactions: J A
Thanks guys for all your input! Epilogue:

We killed the 3 gallon keg on Sunday. Dave likes beer for breakfast. Transferred the small batch in there on Monday , cold crashed, force carbonated yesterday and drinking tonight. I’m not one to usually pat myself on the back but this is a mighty tasty little brew for an extract! I think we will step it up to 5 gallons. Cheers all.

Attachments

• 20190404_221555.jpeg
    20190404_221555.jpeg
    256 KB · Views: 248
Buy more kegs?

Back