Maybe time for some admin stuff Austin.

Foster82

Trial Member
Reaction score
Austin, first welcome to fold.

In regards to the random post about decorating a room: I know it is nearly impossible to prevent people from littering on the forums, however I checked out the Signup page and there does not appear to be any sort of computer generated signup protection. No one really likes them but a "are you actually human" test on the signup page could go a long way. If you do use one don't do the numbers and phrases that no one can read, there are some nice java based ones that are much easier to navigate.

Next, brew some beer my friend, and post about it.

Lastly, fix the "Trial Member" on your profile and add a pic (ideally one that is beer related). It will let us know you care.

Make that "posts." This isn't what I signed up for.

Foster82 said:
Austin, first welcome to fold.

In regards to the random post about decorating a room: I know it is nearly impossible to prevent people from littering on the forums, however I checked out the Signup page and there does not appear to be any sort of computer generated signup protection. No one really likes them but a "are you actually human" test on the signup page could go a long way. If you do use one don't do the numbers and phrases that no one can read, there are some nice java based ones that are much easier to navigate.

Next, brew some beer my friend, and post about it.

Lastly, fix the "Trial Member" on your profile and add a pic (ideally one that is beer related). It will let us know you care.

I will get it taken care of. I apologize for the daly in my responses and will do better.

Austin, why don't you ask a couple of people to be moderators? The forum is based on phpbb, so I know it has a module/permissions for basic moderation tasks. It would lighten you being solely responsible, which will help build credibility as simple issues can be handled in a timely manner.

olywrestle said:
Austin, why don't you ask a couple of people to be moderators? The forum is based on phpbb, so I know it has a module/permissions for basic moderation tasks. It would lighten you being solely responsible, which will help build credibility as simple issues can be handled in a timely manner.

I'm doing that, but as I don't know the community that well I'm having to research heavily.

Let me offer you some suggestions:

Myself.
Chessking.
Quality Home Brew.
Larry.
Brewmentor.
Evanaltman.
Anyone else you can think of, guys?

Forgot Krimbos and Foster.

Thanks Nosy.

My vote goes to Chessking and Brewmentor, and yourself. I am no where near your skill level.

Evan has been conspiculously quiet of late. Smart man.

Austin said:
olywrestle said:

I'm doing that, but as I don't know the community that well I'm having to research heavily.
Yes sorry, I see that from the other thread. This one probably needs to be moved out of this section of the forum.

Thanks Austin. I agree with Nosybears post on mods.

Do we really need mods? All of us up to this point have been incredibly polite, helpful to other brewers, give various and sometimes contradicting opinions, disagree on methods, procedures and process in a communal and supportive way. I have been following Larry's Blog for many years before he developed the recipe building software. I was reading his stuff when he decided to go electric. I followed his adventure to build a brew shed. I was an early user of the recipe builder, before he worked out the large kinks and made it what it is now. I was one of the first to join the forum (Possibly even the first. Check out who is the first name on the introduction page after Larry.) My point is that what made this forum what it is, is the community of brewers that contribute. At one point Larry was one of us. Austin may never be, but that's alright as long as he keeps the train running on time. All an administrator needs to do is to keep the spammers out and fix the software related problems. If Austin wants to stay out of the beer related issues than fine. He cant replace Larry on that level anyway. Moderators are necessary only when you get snarky comments, foul language, inappropriate subject matter or plain old pissing matches brought on by raised tempers. So far I have noticed none of that. We all gave Austin some well deserved grief brought on by his own inability to be straight with us, but none of it reached the level that needed moderation. Some of you have and still frequent HBT. They are big, and you can learn a lot there, but there are also plenty of A- holes there as well. I don't want BF to become that. If we, the contributors who make beer our passion can get along so far, moderators are unnecessary.
That being said, it would be nice to have a quick way to get the furniture salesmen ejected.

That's why I volunteered us to moderate, Chess. No need to "moderate", just to kick the occassional Feng Shui peddler off.

chessking said:
Do we really need mods? All of us up to this point have been incredibly polite, helpful to other brewers, give various and sometimes contradicting opinions, disagree on methods, procedures and process in a communal and supportive way. I have been following Larry's Blog for many years before he developed the recipe building software. I was reading his stuff when he decided to go electric. I followed his adventure to build a brew shed. I was an early user of the recipe builder, before he worked out the large kinks and made it what it is now. I was one of the first to join the forum (Possibly even the first. Check out who is the first name on the introduction page after Larry.) My point is that what made this forum what it is, is the community of brewers that contribute. At one point Larry was one of us. Austin may never be, but that's alright as long as he keeps the train running on time. All an administrator needs to do is to keep the spammers out and fix the software related problems. If Austin wants to stay out of the beer related issues than fine. He cant replace Larry on that level anyway. Moderators are necessary only when you get snarky comments, foul language, inappropriate subject matter or plain old pissing matches brought on by raised tempers. So far I have noticed none of that. We all gave Austin some well deserved grief brought on by his own inability to be straight with us, but none of it reached the level that needed moderation. Some of you have and still frequent HBT. They are big, and you can learn a lot there, but there are also plenty of A- holes there as well. I don't want BF to become that. If we, the contributors who make beer our passion can get along so far, moderators are unnecessary.
That being said, it would be nice to have a quick way to get the furniture salesmen ejected.

The other issue is spam. If I'm not right on it I would like a mod to help. This isn't establishing a class system, nor is it assigning an overlord, it's just someone to help with the running of the board.

Another "minor" irritant: I was using the priming sugar calculator last night when, to my surprise, up popped this ad! I don't even remember what it was for, I only remembered that first, I'm paying for this site and second, the placement was ever so undignified. I closed the ad and then some html container for it remained, posted squarely over the top of the calculator results. First, ads on a paid site aren't cool at all and second, sticking them right over the most important information on the page is a good incentive to me to use a different page.

Nosybear said:
Another "minor" irritant: I was using the priming sugar calculator last night when, to my surprise, up popped this ad! I don't even remember what it was for, I only remembered that first, I'm paying for this site and second, the placement was ever so undignified. I closed the ad and then some html container for it remained, posted squarely over the top of the calculator results. First, ads on a paid site aren't cool at all and second, sticking them right over the most important information on the page is a good incentive to me to use a different page.

Please get me a screen shot. The ads are supposed to be no different than what Larry was running.

Here it is.... Note the guy, obviously contemplating a peaceful, rather studley retirement, gazing out to sea RIGHT OVER THE TOP OF THE RECOMMENDED CO2 VOLUMES FOR DIFFERENT BEER STYLES. I've been on this site quite a while and have never seen this kind of behavior, no, not even while Larry was here. The ad styles have changed and if someone at your organization didn't do it, you've been hacked.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    93.2 KB · Views: 789
Me thinks that's a picture of Quality Home Brew contemplating his next brew day.

Or...it's fucking spam.

Austin said:
The other issue is spam. If I'm not right on it I would like a mod to help. This isn't establishing a class system, nor is it assigning an overlord, it's just someone to help with the running of the board.

Fair enough. Would a "report a problem" feature be possible. Not a thread, but a way of contacting you quickly and directly with a problem? I'm no expert. Actually I'm a rodeo clown when it comes to programing, but it seems this would streamline the process. I think that in this area (spammers, hijackers, trolls and flamers) we are all in agreement and any assistance we can give you will benefit us in the long run.

Back