Label generator

Hobbes

Trial Member
Reaction score
Would be nice if i could hit the label generator and populate fields manually... the labels are very useful, but the recipe editor is not up to snuff yet so i'm using other software. In order to get labels I have to import, "brew", then go to label creator.

Also, i'd like to be able to override style... "American IPA" is the closest i could find to the Hazy NEIPA; but there is no way to overwrite this particular value.

If i could edit the quick-text and have it placed on your label that would be great.

I think the styles are based on the BJCP, and unfortunately NEIPA has not yet been made a style.

I think the styles are based on the BJCP, and unfortunately NEIPA has not yet been made a style.

It's there... as 21B and called out specifically.

http://dev.bjcp.org/beer-styles/21b-specialty-ipa-new-england-ipa/

But more so, i'd like the ability to put something here that may not be in BJCP "yet". Eg, Brut IPA is not there yet... so when brewing I can only grab a similar "style" ... i pick "american IPA". Then when printing labels I can either print "American IPA" for style or nothing at all. There is no option to edit, like you can for the other values (name, brewer name, etc). I'm not talking about the recipe editor, and adding the ability to have custom styles (that'd be another feature req)'. I'm just talking about the label printer.

The best solution I have found is to remove style, and put "<br><i>New England IPA</i>" in the title... since they are not checking/validating for HTML attributes it creates a new line and puts "NEIPA" in italics directly under it.

My suggestion would be two-fold:
1) Allow user-editing of all the displayed attributes, mainly style/subcategory
2) Allow user to edit labels without having to have a recipe & brew, everything is blank and let me fill it out.

I just use Word. And an Avery 5160 template. I'd suggest a compromise: Keep the attributes (style, subcategory, etc.) standard, and create a label maker "calculator" that you can link from the recipe, that will take your styles from the recipe and that is editable. That way we avoid the entire custom fermentables issue with beer styles.

These are great ideas... but i put this here as a feature request. I'm not asking how to solve this problem, i'm suggesting solutions to it that O think would add value for others as well.

I'm well aware that I could use other things to edit the labels... msword, excel,other websites...
I'm also well aware that the styles probably come from BJCP styles.

however; what about the case of new styles... am I stuck until the MODs can update the backend? Why not just allow me to correct the style name in the editor just like I can for the brewer, or the date... those also come from the recipe but i'm allowed to edit/correct them without affecting recipe.

Also... i'm not sure the hesitation to having just a link to the label creator from the tools section. There i no need to auto-populate everything, let me fill it out. Or let me launch the label editor from from a recipe i'm viewing. Of course i'll need to be able to edit the style.

there are sites like grogs that make money off *just* labels... you already have the template, UI, and everything you need to add it..

.. new feature request -> someone read feature request who is actively developing the site. I've canceled my subscription because the recipe editor doesn't function correctly and the label generator only works if you've created a recipe & brewed it. The label generator was the last tool i was using from here while hoping the recipe editor would get fixed. This site has potential, but I need to move on and find a solution that works.

I think everyone is a little frustrated right now... Guests, Members, Mods, Programmers and Admin. That being said, I think they’ve been working hard at it to resolve the update and feature requests might (and should) take a back seat whilst they get the update all sorted out.

I’ve had my frustrations, believe me, and I’ve voiced them here as well, but I’m confident the program will be better for those who use it, and customizable for those of us who don’t.

Cheers... and hope you stick around.

No problem, i'm paid up until June... if the tools ever get fixed i'd have no problem giving them another shot.

But if you try some time, you just might find....

Kidding aside, the label generator does not help anyone brew better beer.

I appreciate that you may want it to be easier to use, but to me, it should be a long way down the priority list. If BF decided to scrap it all together, it wouldn't bother me a bit.

The folks here work hard to make this the best brewing website there is.

But if you try some time, you just might find....

Kidding aside, the label generator does not help anyone brew better beer.

I appreciate that you may want it to be easier to use, but to me, it should be a long way down the priority list. If BF decided to scrap it all together, it wouldn't bother me a bit.

The folks here work hard to make this the best brewing website there is.
Agreed. Furthermore, Word and an Avery template work just fine.... I'm not a great fan of ten finger interfaces but there's a lot of other stuff I'd like to have happen before a label maker.

.. new feature request -> someone read feature request who is actively developing the site. I've canceled my subscription because the recipe editor doesn't function correctly and the label generator only works if you've created a recipe & brewed it. The label generator was the last tool i was using from here while hoping the recipe editor would get fixed. This site has potential, but I need to move on and find a solution that works.

We absolutely read every feature request, and take them all seriously. We are coming off of a huge release two days ago, and are working on another right now. We have the things listed in our changelog: https://docs.brewersfriend.com/changelog because we want complete transparency.

We love the updated label feature idea- and it is added to the list- and once the developer can let us know how many hours it will take, how much coding, etc, we can see if it's feasible to add now, or if it may have to wait until later.

Thanks for the heads up Yooper, it means a lot to me.

Agreed. Furthermore, Word and an Avery template work just fine.... I'm not a great fan of ten finger interfaces but there's a lot of other stuff I'd like to have happen before a label maker.

It's not that I want a new feature of label maker...I just want a way to get to the already existing label makers from the Tools menu. One link , drop me in the label generator with blank text. I wouldn't be so offended by the comments to use avery labels and word if these guys didn't already do all the hard work of creating a great label maker.

Back