How to use Recipe tool for ciders

ToadSpit

Trial Member
Reaction score
I'm not able to figure out how to use the Recipe tool on this site for Ciders.

It keeps wanting me to fill in various fields that don't apply to cider.

Anybody made cider recipes with the recipe tool on this site? I'd like to try it to have it sync with the app on my phone.

I had the same issue with my cider recipe. The site could use some better calculations as far as cider goes. This is what i did.

http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/r ... hard-cider

Enter the cider as a custom fermentable. I used PPG = 6.4 Lovi = 2. I used these to get the OG to a 1.046 which is what I measured in my cider.

My cider is fermenting now, so I won't know if the final gravity will be correct, especially since I added juice concentrate. Just have to wait and see.

Cider is very difficult to make using a recipe generator since there is no standard juice sugar content. The juice I source from Costco off-season is very different than the raw cider I get from my LHBS. Of course the sugar I add to top up the gravity is the same!

I just finished bottling my cider an hour ago and I have to say I'm very pleased with how it came out, as well as how close the recipe generator was. Even though I did have to tweak the initial numbers to get the OG where I wanted it on the website, the FG was fairly close. For my next batch (which won't be until cider is back in season), I will probably add a bit more sugar to get the ABV up. My girlfriend should like the 4%, but I'd prefer to feel the burn :twisted:

Old post to tag, but I just got a kit for Mangrove Jacks Apple Cider. Directions are very simple but, to simple. Does it carbonate the same as beer? I will probably force carbonate most of it in a keg but want to bottle some. Same sugar for carbing (same chart?) as beer? Or is there anything specially different? With beer you can tweak kits to raise or lower ABV, is cider the same?

Back