March brew pumps in uk like everything we buy made difficult

brewmer

Premium Member
Reaction score
Im looking to up grade my bits n bobs so i can mash 10 gallons, so i need pumps i thought,the idea being ill turn my 45ltr igloo cooler into a jockey box and buy a stainless insulated mashtun and have 2 pumps and 3 vessels, easy i thought.
well all e bay adverts for ss pumps were all from us, the only ones with customs and excise tickets were 115v all the 240v 809 pumps didnt have the customs and excise so i thought id ring march uk see if i can get one from uk .
well basicly they said the 809 has an american motor and isnt ue certified and doesnt pass regs so the cant sell them to uk customers and he offered me the uk alternative the ss4r smd which cost just over £200... thats bollox i thought......we get stung for everything we buy in the uk..well i might buy a 110v pump from the us and run it on my 110v transformer or buy a 12v pump from the uk for 25 quid, but i have heard bad reports on the 12 v pumps..

what does everyone else do from the uk any ideas for getting a decent pump in the uk

cheers guys

i just love the us homebrew shops england just needs to catch up....

Re: March brew pumps in uk like everything we buy made diffi

ahh thats eu certified not ue. lol pull me another beer..

another quick question is, if i set up a whirlpool for my new tun would a center drain work like the insulated mashtuns here. http://www.homebrewbuilder.co.uk/mash%20tuns.html

or should i just bite it and buy a blitchman pot without the center drain, at the moment i mash im a 45 ltr igloo that im replacing with a herms pot and a new tun, not sure what tun im going to buy, i just dont want to buy things because are cheap if they dont fit my needs same worry i have with the 12v pumps

I think chugger is coming out with a uk version, not sure when on the pump issue, the whole idea behind the whirl pooling for trub is it pulls the trub to the center and keeps it there while draining the pot so the bottom drain would not work, you can put a side drain in also I currently have 4 different placed ball valves on my set up

Quality Home Brew said:
I think chugger is coming out with a uk version

the chugger does look a quality pump im tempted to order the 115v and run it on my 110v site transformer or just get the cheap 12v untill there's a good alternative..

I have one, it doesn't like anything over 200 without closing down the ball valve, sometimes half way

brewmer said:
another quick question is, if i set up a whirlpool for my new tun would a center drain work like the insulated mashtuns here. http://www.homebrewbuilder.co.uk/mash%20tuns.html

or should i just bite it and buy a blitchman pot without the center drain, at the moment i mash im a 45 ltr igloo that im replacing with a herms pot and a new tun, not sure what tun im going to buy, i just dont want to buy things because are cheap if they dont fit my needs same worry i have with the 12v pumps

You don't need to whirlpool a mash tun. Just let it drain. The whirlpool is commonly used in the brew kettle, and there you would want a side drain. A center drain would negate the usefulness of a whirlpool.

I know this post is now fairly old, but I wanted to quickly explain why March May in the UK have given you unfavorable responses about the March 809 in the past. March Manufacturing in the USA have never seen the need to have the 809 or 815 pumps CE marked, without the CE mark March May are legally not allowed to supply these products to consumers (more EU red tape crap!)

However, this is now not the case, March May have had the 809 produced exclusively with a CE marked motor and are keeping them on stock. March May have also developed the SS-4R Hot Wort pump to handle temperatures of up to 120°c and have included it in there brewing and distilling pumps range.

Both the 809-PL-HS and SS-4R pumps, along with a variety of fittings and tubing are available to buy from the website at http://marchmay.co.uk/shop/shop_index.php :)

Back