High Temperature Dry Hopping Question

JMG1994

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I’m using a Kveik strain of yeast which is currently fermenting at around 90 degrees and wondering if that would be too warm to dry hop. Will I get off aromas?

Thanks!

I wouldn't think so, hops don't ferment. But I can't say with absolute certainty.

Yep recon it should be good. I'd love to see some feed or an exbeeriment on a beer hopped warm with same dosage to one hopped cold with same dosage and see if there was a difference in aromatics.:rolleyes:

@oliver had a similar thread a few weeks ago - https://www.brewersfriend.com/forum/threads/dry-hop-temperature.11207/. @Nola_Brew had tried it and it didn't seem to make much of a difference. oliver may just about have had a chance to taste it by now.
Cheers Mark will check it out. What's your thoughts on this? I remember talking to a local craft brew bloke awhile ago where he brought up hot and cold dry hopping saying he dry hops a ferm tempnthen cools down beer to cooler temperature and adds another dry hop got me thinking maybe there's something too this.

I'm guessing that the pros and cons of the two approaches are pretty balanced and that most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference. More heat, easier for the hop goodness to come out, but it will speed up other reactions, like oxidation. Colder will slow down the extract of the oils and other compounds, but will also slow down all the other things that are aging the beer.

@oliver had a similar thread a few weeks ago - https://www.brewersfriend.com/forum/threads/dry-hop-temperature.11207/. @Nola_Brew had tried it and it didn't seem to make much of a difference. oliver may just about have had a chance to taste it by now.
I don't think there's a discernible difference, but I haven't done a side by side or taken any real tasting notes from one beer to the next.

I've started doing a new dry hopping method I read on Scott Janish's blog. The dry hops go into the fermenter before the wort and yeast. They stay in for the entirety of fermentation. I just tried it on a beer, single malt Vienna with Mosaic, Mandarina, and Meridian in the whirlpool and "dry hop," fermented with Voss. Going to keg tonight.

When dry hopping a Kveik brewed beer i drop temps to 20°C , no scientific evidence but it's just what feels right.
I only leave it for 36 hours then drop incrementally to CC

I don't think there's a discernible difference, but I haven't done a side by side or taken any real tasting notes from one beer to the next.

I've started doing a new dry hopping method I read on Scott Janish's blog. The dry hops go into the fermenter before the wort and yeast. They stay in for the entirety of fermentation. I just tried it on a beer, single malt Vienna with Mosaic, Mandarina, and Meridian in the whirlpool and "dry hop," fermented with Voss. Going to keg tonight.
Interesting. I've heard a few people say they've done it by mistake and thought it turned out OK.

Back