Really like my new fermenter

ChicoBrewer

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Did my first batch in my new 30l Speidel fermenter. I really love it. The headspace for a 5 gallon batch is luxurious. The spigot sure beats siphoning and it is a breeze to clean. Left about half a pint above the trub. The handles seal the deal. I think I'll buy another. I bought the blowoff tube/thermowell from NorCal Brewing. It sure beats my glass and plastic carboys.

20190320_194428.jpg

20190320_194355.jpg

That extra head space is nice. I brewed a tripel and the yeast went nuts and blew out the airlock and plug, yeast blew everywhere. With that fermenter it would not be a problem at all.

I looked at the SS Brew Bucket. I think I'm glad I bought the plastic one because it is semi transparent and really easy to clean. Two gallons of PBW and shake like crazy by rolling it back and forth on the counter. Nearly indestructible.

I have 5 of those and am very happy with my choice. The headspace is quite nice. I adjust my recipe to get more final product, so I usually bottle around 6 gallons. Although hard to believe, I had fermentations that simply smashed out through the oversized airlock. One that comes in mind is a Hefeweizen fermented with Danstar Munich Classic ( Weihenstephaner ). For 24 hours, the airlock couldn't be sat on. My house smelled like what I imagine a German brewery smells like during Hefe fermentation. :)

But the Speidels are sturdy built, have really sturdy handles, they are extermely easy to clean du to the big mouth opening, the oversized airlock is a bonus.

I looked at the SS Brew Bucket. I think I'm glad I bought the plastic one because it is semi transparent and really easy to clean. Two gallons of PBW and shake like crazy by rolling it back and forth on the counter. Nearly indestructible.
I have the Speidel as well. If I could figure out how stainless steel would make my beer better, I might spring for one of those fancy buckets....

I have the Speidel as well. If I could figure out how stainless steel would make my beer better, I might spring for one of those fancy buckets....
They don't make it better Nosy... You know that. :p

But it will last a lot longer, so better value by far than plastic, and no worries about little nasties finding a home in those nicks, scratches or other areas like plastic offers.;)

I have 2 -14 gallon plastic barrels, very strong with no scratches so far, only issue is I can't see through them

I use the Speidel for 90% of my fermentation now. So much easier than the glass fermenters I was using at the start. The glass ones now just sit in a dark corner doing duty as secondary fermenters with sours or imperial stouts.

... The glass ones now just sit in a dark corner doing duty as secondary fermenters with sours or imperial stouts.

Same here, I accidentally scratched the inside of one of the 5 gallon glass carboy, and had one break... fortunately no one was hurt and it was only partially full of a Star-san. Now they are coin jars. But the amount of coins or brawn it would take to full or handle it, is not gonna be filled in my lifetime.

I use the Speidel for 90% of my fermentation now. So much easier than the glass fermenters I was using at the start. The glass ones now just sit in a dark corner doing duty as secondary fermenters with sours or imperial stouts.
My primary fermentor is a Big Demon plastic conical. I have a 3-gallon Demon for smaller batches. Wife uses the Speidel primarily for wines. I also have any number of plastic carboys, some of which I've had since starting the hobby 8 years ago. Key to keeping plastic is never give it a chance to scratch - wash with hot water or use PBW, no brushes, limited use of a soft cloth. Fermentor of last resort is a bucket with a spigot.

Fill them with pennys like people did in the old days

Did my first batch in my new 30l Speidel fermenter. I really love it. The headspace for a 5 gallon batch is luxurious. The spigot sure beats siphoning and it is a breeze to clean. Left about half a pint above the trub. The handles seal the deal. I think I'll buy another. I bought the blowoff tube/thermowell from NorCal Brewing. It sure beats my glass and plastic carboys.

View attachment 5499

View attachment 5498

One of my Fermonsters is getting pretty banged up and I'll be replacing it soon. Will probably replace it with the 30L Speidel. Looks like my thermowell w/#10 stopper is a good fit for the top too. Also, the extra head space means Fermcap-S won't be needed either. Ya talked me into it :)

The Speidel sounds good. I bought a Big Mouth Bubbler last year and have brewed 5 or 6 good IPA's with it . Easy to clean and it's transparent. Has anyone else used one? I am thinking of upgrading to something conical to get rid of Trub.

I bought a couple of plastic Big Mouth Bubblers when they were first released. The quality was very poor. Thickness of the walls varied to a point that some spots weren't much thicker than a ZipLoc bag. After one cracked I replaced them with 7 gallon Fermonsters. Much better quality and you don't need to work with any dimples when cleaning. Stoppers don't pop out of the lids when they're wet with Starsan either.

I have 5 BMB and love them all. Clear so I am able to see inside and lightweight. I used to fight with glass carboys but never again.
I have 2 Speidel's also. I use them for beers over 5 gal.

I bought a couple of plastic Big Mouth Bubblers when they were first released. The quality was very poor. Thickness of the walls varied to a point that some spots weren't much thicker than a ZipLoc bag. After one cracked I replaced them with 7 gallon Fermonsters. Much better quality and you don't need to work with any dimples when cleaning. Stoppers don't pop out of the lids when they're wet with Starsan either.
You went further than I did. The Big Mouth Bubblers looked cheap from the word go, so I never even consider buying their modified water cooler bottles. Northern Brewer is always offering them for free if you spend “x” dollars.

You went further than I did. The Big Mouth Bubblers looked cheap from the word go, so I never even consider buying their modified water cooler bottles. Northern Brewer is always offering them for free if you spend “x” dollars.

I don't usually buy things when they first come out. Let someone else be the Guinea Pig :)

Back