Gelatin Fining

Nosybear

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Here's my procedure for fining using gelatin:

1g unflavored gelatin plus 2 oz (60 ml) water per gallon of beer.
Pour the cold water into a pan. Sprinkle the gelatin over the surface. Let the gelatin rehydrate 15 0 30 min.
Stir completely, leaving no clumps.
Heat the solution to 160 degrees F (70 degrees C).
Add to cold (<= 35 degrees F/2 degrees C) beer. Agitate or swirl the carboy to mix.
Rest 2 - 3 days then package.

I don't remember where I got it but it works better than 1/2 tsp in 6 oz water....

Thanks nosy! Almost too damn easy, I will try that with the batch I have fermenting now

I actually heat the water then add the gelatin, stir in the cup and dump as soon as I can, it will foam like crazy if your beer is carbing so have the lid ready

Will be adding some geletin to a carbed lager tomorrow (Not my usual method) so will keep this in mind thanks Oz!

I actually heat the water then add the gelatin, stir in the cup and dump as soon as I can, it will foam like crazy if your beer is carbing so have the lid ready
I don't think the order of heating is critical, as long as you don't heat too much past 160 degrees F. Overheat and you're making jell-o, not finings.

I just do about 1/2tsp(ish) to around 250ml of water and nuke it in the microwave until the gelatin clears. Getting it hotter has never given me any trouble.

I just do about 1/2tsp(ish) to around 250ml of water and nuke it in the microwave until the gelatin clears. Getting it hotter has never given me any trouble.
Same here. I boil a cup of water, remove it from heat, add 1 teaspoon of Knox gelatin, mix well, dump into ice cold beer, gently stir into ice cold beer. Done.

Same here. I boil a cup of water, remove it from heat, add 1 teaspoon of Knox gelatin, mix well, dump into ice cold beer, gently stir into ice cold beer. Done.
That way works, too. Mine's scalable to different batch sizes.

My vessels are all roughly 5 gallons so scaling isn't really an issue for me.

So I've been thinking about this briefly maybe it's not the amount of water that matter but the amount of geletin used in the running process. What do youse think? For instance I was just doing my 1/2 teaspoon to 1/2 cup boiled water mix ratio and though hey maybe brulosophy uses this amount because it's easy to remember why can't I just do 1/2 teaspoon geletin to 100ml of water that wall less water in my previous (hopefully) lager!

I do recall their geletin exbeeriment where they used i think teaspoon of geletin to fin the beer and it had reverse affects and the beer wasn't as clear as the one with 1/2 teaspoon.

Anyhow just thought I'd throw that out there and see what comes back.

I use 1 tsp per cup, but I have reduced the amount of water to 2/3 cup or so without seeing any ill effects. I always use at least 1 teaspoon and have great results. Adding 1 cup of water to 5 gallons diluted the beer by a little over 1%, I try not to worry too much about it. I doubt you could taste the difference.

As long as you can get the gelatin into solution, I don't think the concentration of the solution is an issue.

I do 1g gelatin per gallon of brew. I like the 60ml water per gram of gelatin. Stealing it I do a fair number of 3 gallon batches, so 3g gelatin to 180ml water. I usually nuke the water and wait for it to get to 150f. I don't fine a lot of beers .. just lagers.

In this and the last thread I've seen 1 mL per gallon and now 1 g per gallon. Just give up that antiquated set of measurements and come and join us in the land of metric sunshine and rainbows! You know you want to.

Thanks for the posting Nosy!

At what point in the fermentation cycle is this going into the carboy?

I use 1 tsp per cup, but I have reduced the amount of water to 2/3 cup or so without seeing any ill effects. I always use at least 1 teaspoon and have great results. Adding 1 cup of water to 5 gallons diluted the beer by a little over 1%, I try not to worry too much about it. I doubt you could taste the difference.

mine is similar, I make 2 full kegs per batch of beer and divide one packet in two, one for each it might be a little more than a teaspoon I haven't measured, then heat up a old fashion whiskey glass 3/4 full in the microwave, stop at 150F

In this and the last thread I've seen 1 mL per gallon and now 1 g per gallon. Just give up that antiquated set of measurements and come and join us in the land of metric sunshine and rainbows! You know you want to.
Having lived metric, I couldn't agree more.

Back