Smoking, grilling and curing foods, etc.

T-Bone steak with saute’d mushrooms and a side of grilled Brussels sprouts for me and the wife.

CADEDAC5-C625-40B6-A63B-8017AFEB5F7A.jpeg

Put on a spatchcocked yard bird about 1/2 hour ago. Seasoned with SPG and some home grown sage. Only using the pan 'cause the wife is doing mashed spuds. Can't have mashed spuds without milk gravy.
Yard Bird.jpg

While the bird was cooking, pruned the wife's prized Queen Elizabeth Rose.
QE2.jpg

I refer to it as prized because she planted about a dozen roses, and this is the only one to survive. And she gat pissed when I call her the brown thumb :)

I'll take mine medium Bud! Damn that looks good!

T-Bone steak with saute’d mushrooms and a side of grilled Brussels sprouts for me and the wife.

View attachment 5480
Oh oh oh that new deschutes baltic porter would go sooo good with that. I'm sure you have a great beer to wash it down with though.

And @Mase you can keep ya brussle sprouts! the one and only vegie I can't stomach. But man your steak looks bloody good.

And @Mase you can keep ya brussle sprouts! the one and only vegie I can't stomach. But man your steak looks bloody good.
I absolutely hated Brussels sprouts until I tried them on the grill. I cut them in half lengthwise, throw them in a zip-lock baggie and add olive oil, salt and pepper and grill’em up. They are delicious.

I absolutely hated Brussels sprouts until I tried them on the grill. I cut them in half lengthwise, throw them in a zip-lock baggie and add olive oil, salt and pepper and grill’em up. They are delicious.
"Maybe" I should give this a try. Sometimes they just smell like fart to me Lol!

Next time your gonna grill, grab a small bag full and cut them in half and season as I say above, then you can actually dip them in ranch or blue cheese dressing. We eat them like an appetizer. Try’em

Ps. My wife hated them previously as well

"Maybe" I should give this a try. Sometimes they just smell like fart to me Lol!
They smell as much as they give! I used to hate them also till I figured out that plain boiled or steamed sucks.

I've always loved them, but must admit that some of the store bought ones belong in the composter. Like most produce, you can't beat home grown.

Trimmed and sliced up a 5+ pound eye of round and got it in brine for some jerky I'll be smoking tomorrow. No pics today, but will try to remember tomorrow. I am including the recipe below, which is a modified BBQ Pit Boy's recipe. Would plan something bigger and better, but weather is still unsettled.

Attachments

• Pit Boy's Jerky with Smoke & Heat.pdf
    748 KB · Views: 193
Did up a couple slabs of ribs today. Needed to make room in the chest freezer for more ribs. Local store had them at a super price this week.Here's the spareribs I started with:
Spares.jpg

Trimmed down to St. Louis style:
St. Louis.jpg
All rubbed and ready for the smoker:
Ready.jpg
Smoked with Pecan for 2 hours@165F and then topped with butter and honey, wrapped and moved to the pellet grill for 1 1/2 hours@300F. Got busy and didn't get any pics of the finished product. They were good though :)

Last edited:
Spring has definitely sprung here. Felt ambitious and decided to smoke some Pastrami. Was also out of my Hot & Spicy BBQ Sauce, so whipped up a batch. Recipe below. Got the Pastrami prepped and waiting for the smoker to come up to temp.
Pastrami.jpg

Got the Pastrami on. Will give it a good smoke with Pecan on the Big Chief and then move to the Traeger for some love at 225F.
Big Chief.jpg

Attachments

• Sweet & Spicy BBQ Sauce.pdf
    239.8 KB · Views: 150
I have one of those smokers. I used to use it a lot when I had a boat and I was catching Salmon out of the Sacramento River.

I'm about ready to smoke some Irish Cheddar. Got a bunch of trout to brine this afternoon and will smoke them tomorrow. Yahoo! Spring is here!
Thousands of noisy geese flying north. Dogwood blooming. Must be spring. . .

Thousands of noisy geese flying north. Dogwood blooming. Must be spring. . .

Should have mentioned in previous reply. My folks lived just outside of Marysville for about 20 years. Dad and I used to fish the Feather below Live Oak for salmon. Used silver flatfish with an anchovy strapped on with a red rubber band. Killer setup. Sure wish we had a Big Chief back then.

Should have mentioned in previous reply. My folks lived just outside of Marysville for about 20 years. Dad and I used to fish the Feather below Live Oak for salmon. Used silver flatfish with an anchovy strapped on with a red rubber band. Killer setup. Sure wish we had a Big Chief back then.
I graduated from Yuba City High. I'm quite familiar with that technique. Striper shad and salmon is what we caught (and catfish). The fish in the Sacramento are much brighter that the ones in the feather. I moved to Chico to go to the university in 82 after my stint in the navy. Met a red bluff girl and never left. Maybe I'll buy another river boat when I retire and fish again.

Back