New to this & Mr. Beer?

wheresthebeer!

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hello!
I am new to the art of making my own alcoholic beverages. Yesterday i started my first mead batch (1 gallon). This isn't the right site for questions on that, so I won't go there. But, it is going good.
Anyway, I was wondering if Mr. Beer was a good way to get into home-brewing? The Premium version has the bottles included. I can't afford too much right now.

It's a good way to start and learn the basics.
Mr. Beer has 2 gallon complete kits on sale right now. Includes bottles. Next paycheck I will be getting one. Deciding which one is the hard part. Leaning towards 'American Lager Complete Kit' but may go with the 'Bewitched Amber Ale Complete Kit'.

Mr. Beer has 2 gallon complete kits on sale right now. Includes bottles. Next paycheck I will be getting one. Deciding which one is the hard part. Leaning towards 'American Lager Complete Kit' but may go with the 'Bewitched Amber Ale Complete Kit'.
First off... Welcome to brewing and feel free to ask any questions here. There’s a very responsive and experienced group of folks here.

Unless you have a way to properly ferment the lager in the low 50 (f) range, I would go with the Ale kit.

*curious why they would offer a lager for a beginners kit.

First off... Welcome to brewing and feel free to ask any questions here. There’s a very responsive and experienced group of folks here.

Unless you have a way to properly ferment the lager in the low 50 (f) range, I would go with the Ale kit.

*curious why they would offer a lager for a beginners kit.

Thank you!

How would you properly ferment lager? I am taking your advice & going with the ale kit. But, you got me curious about how to properly ferment lager.

Welcome good luck with your brewing, Lagers are usually fermented pretty cool like 12c so most likely to keep fermenter at these temps you need a temperature controlled fermentation chamber something a fairly new brewer ain't going to have.

Welcome good luck with your brewing, Lagers are usually fermented pretty cool like 12c so most likely to keep fermenter at these temps you need a temperature controlled fermentation chamber something a fairly new brewer ain't going to have.

Thank you!

Thank you for the explanation. I will stick with the Ale for now. In a few years, maybe I will be able to afford the chamber. Maybe not.

Have a gallon of mead fermenting at the moment (simple method...). That Ale kit is next on the list to buy. I am hoping to have a variety of drinks for this summer that I made for barbecues and sitting on the deck in the evenings.

Welcome to the best brewing forum on the net. Lots of home brewers started out using a Mr. Beer kit. There's no shame in that. Whatever you start out with, you'll likely progress onward and upward in time. It's a great hobby that can be very rewarding if you're willing to dedicate some time and effort. Again, welcome.

Welcome to the best brewing forum on the net. Lots of home brewers started out using a Mr. Beer kit. There's no shame in that. Whatever you start out with, you'll likely progress onward and upward in time. It's a great hobby that can be very rewarding if you're willing to dedicate some time and effort. Again, welcome.

Thank you!

I have heard that Mr. Beer is a good way to start out. I have a few good fun & rewarding hobbies. I figured it was time to start a new one that I could enjoy on the deck in the evenings. Too cold right now. We actually got snow & expecting more snow on Thursday.

This group is a lot more friendly with a newbie's first post than the mead group I joined.

The toughest part for the new brewer...
Patience!
I have no experience with meads, but with beer, you have to give the yeast ample time to complete its task. When bottling, it is essentially round two for the yeast to carbonate and condition the brew.
Ask lots of questions as you go.
Cheers
Craigerrr

The toughest part for the new brewer...
Patience!
I have no experience with meads, but with beer, you have to give the yeast ample time to complete its task. When bottling, it is essentially round two for the yeast to carbonate and condition the brew.
Ask lots of questions as you go.
Cheers
Craigerrr

The patience part I was talking about was having to wait until the 1st to buy the Mr. Beer kit. I have no experience with mead either. Just started my first gallon batch yesterday. But, yes, patience is a pain when waiting for that first batch. This mead batch will take a couple months to finish this stage. Then it is supposed to start clearing up. Then it should be ready to bottle. I may start a traditional mead after buying the Mr. Beer kit.

Thinking of building a special shelf where I can store my homemade drinks in the hall closet.

Welcome. I started with a bucket and tins of extract so you're in good company.

I didn't get the Mr. Beer kit because we decided to have an early birthday party for my mom at my house. I bought some supplies & decorated. My oldest sister bought the food & alcohol. My other sister made the carrot cake. So, we had a bbq and a nice family visit.

Back