Wharf Works

Premium Member
Reaction score
Recipe:
Title: Black Strap Stout

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: American Stout
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 12 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 14 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.042
Efficiency: 67.05% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.052
Final Gravity: 1.009
ABV (standard): 5.67%
IBU (tinseth): 34.61
SRM (daniels): 38.32
Mash pH: 5.3

FERMENTABLES:
10 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (40%)
2 lb - American - Carapils (Dextrine Malt) (8%)
2 lb - American - Dark Chocolate (8%)
2 lb - Flaked Barley (8%)
2 lb - Flaked Oats (8%)
2 lb - Blackstrap Molasses - (8%)
1 lb - American - Munich - 60L (4%)
2 lb - American - Roasted Barley (8%)
1 lb - Brown Sugar - (4%)
1 lb - Cacao nibs, milled.

Hopped with Brewer's Gold and Fuggles

Pitched with 2 packets of Safale S-05.

I used to brew this as a basic all-grain stout and add 6 oz of Cruzan Blackstrap Rum in the keg. Then I got thinking about it and decided that I didn't want to waste good rum like this, so I decided to try brewing it with actual blackstrap molasses and demerara sugar in the boil and take advantage of the extra sugars to get that unique flavour.

This is two weeks past brew date and this kreusen is still foamy and is pretty high in the fermenter. I've witnessed no airlock activity, but something has happened cause the gravity is 1.026. It smells a little alcoholy but nothing else. There is a kreusen ring on the fermenter but this foam is something else, it's consistency is almost frothy.
I asked out at my local HBS, but they didn't have any sage advice. I'm starting to wonder if I underpitched, that the extra unusual sugars in the wort were too much for the yeast despite the average gravity reading.
Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 20190314_150336.jpg
    20190314_150336.jpg
    707.7 KB · Views: 146
Looks like you added a lot of fermentables. Probably still kicking

You underpitched a little but it would still be further along. If it's only gone from 1.052 to 1.056, it's still working. If it's 2 weeks in and not at gravity, you must have the temp way down there.
Looking back over your grain bill I see that you don't have even 50% base malt...that along with your low efficiency might indicate poor conversion and a lot of unfermentable sugars. That could leave you with a stuck fermentation/high gravity/high starch content and could account for your looking like it does.

How does it taste? I know I had something similar looking. That was a cross contamination problem with a sour batch I was brewing.

interestingly enough I have a Cream ale going that has a krausen that hasnt fallen after 5 days the "foam" looks like beer foam but i can still see visable activity from yeast floaters but the common thing is I too used flaked barley but not flaked oats i used flaked white wheat niether of which I've used before, but my batch isnt done.

Back