Recipe editor doesn't account for worth losses

royger

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I would like to use the recipe editor to tailor recipes to my current equipment. I've found however that the recipe editor doesn't seem to take into account hop absorption losses, or kettle dead space when you set the batch size to fermentor volume.

I have a recipe for example that has an expected pre-boil size of 26L, and I was expecting to get 19L on the fermentor after boil off and misc losses. The recipe editor expects that the difference between 26L and 19L is all due to boil off losses, but that's not the case.

I've set the fermentor volume to 19L because I'm expecting 3L to evaporate, and approximately a 4L loss due to hop absorption and kettle dead space. I'm adding a total of 120gr of hop pellets directly to the kettle without any bagging, so there's quite a lot of trub at the bottom of the kettle which I'm leaving behind when moving the worth to the fermentor.

Is there anyway to make the recipe editor take into account my equipment losses?

Also, I've realized the quick water requirements calculator doesn't seem to take into account that it should do something like: max("Kettle dead space", "Hops absorption losses") when you use pellets without bagging. If you have a hop absorption rate higher than the kettle dead space then the kettle dead space doesn't need to be accounted for, and the same applies the other way around (kettle dead space > hop absorption losses).

Thanks, Roger.

Hello,

I would like to use the recipe editor to tailor recipes to my current equipment. I've found however that the recipe editor doesn't seem to take into account hop absorption losses, or kettle dead space when you set the batch size to fermentor volume.

I have a recipe for example that has an expected pre-boil size of 26L, and I was expecting to get 19L on the fermentor after boil off and misc losses. The recipe editor expects that the difference between 26L and 19L is all due to boil off losses, but that's not the case.

I've set the fermentor volume to 19L because I'm expecting 3L to evaporate, and approximately a 4L loss due to hop absorption and kettle dead space. I'm adding a total of 120gr of hop pellets directly to the kettle without any bagging, so there's quite a lot of trub at the bottom of the kettle which I'm leaving behind when moving the worth to the fermentor.

Is there anyway to make the recipe editor take into account my equipment losses?

Also, I've realized the quick water requirements calculator doesn't seem to take into account that it should do something like: max("Kettle dead space", "Hops absorption losses") when you use pellets without bagging. If you have a hop absorption rate higher than the kettle dead space then the kettle dead space doesn't need to be accounted for, and the same applies the other way around (kettle dead space > hop absorption losses).

Thanks, Roger.

Hi Roger,

I had problems about the quick water calculator so I wrote a spread sheet to help.

See here: https://www.brewersfriend.com/forum/threads/how-the-quick-water-calculator-works.10515/#post-77955

Scroll up from that post to see how it all works. There is a full description there.

Hi Roger,

I had problems about the quick water calculator so I wrote a spread sheet to help.

See here: https://www.brewersfriend.com/forum/threads/how-the-quick-water-calculator-works.10515/#post-77955

Scroll up from that post to see how it all works. There is a full description there.

Thanks! Will definitely check it.

My problem however is not so much with the quick water calculator, but rather the recipe editor itself and the fact that it always accounts the difference between boil size and batch size (fermentor) as boil off losses, when in my opinion in should take into account boil off losses, equipment losses and hop absorption, or else batch size is not fermentor volume, but rather post-boil volume.

That's why I target Kettle volume in my recipes. I think fermenter volume is for those that dump the whole Kettle into the fermenter trub and all... Once I started doing that my recipes are spot on

Last edited:
Sounds like you need to set up your equipment profile. This lets you enter grain absorption, hop absorption, kettle dead space, misc. losses. your average efficiency, default mash thickness, lauter dead space and a few others related to your equipment and process.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/profile/equipment

Hello,

Thanks for the suggestion. I do have my equipment profile setup, and that works fine when using the quick water requirements calculator, but as said above doesn't seem to be taken into account when using the recipe editor, kettle dead space or hop absorption losses are completely ignored when setting batch size to fermentor volume. I will try to use kettle volume and see if that solves some of my issues.

for the settings to match you need to add the correct amount of water that the quick calculator says, not what you think it should be and as stated above use kettle for your losses not fermentor, if you choose fermentor your ending batch size is your starting fermenting size meaning you dump everything into the fermentor, if using kettle you have losses in the kettle to account for, good luck

Back