Hefeweizen tastes like wine

Aje1967

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I just tasted my hefe and it tastes like wine. I am a little early tasting it (brewed 1/30) as it my first "original" recipe and I wanted to see how it turned out. Nothing special just 57% red wheat, 25% pilsner, 8% caracrystal wheat malt and1% acidulated malt. Long mash as i tried to step mash and that did not work so well. Probably mashed vor nearly 2 hours starting around 110F and finally getting to 152 for at least 45 minutes. 1 pack of wyeast 3068. I think I fermented too high, around 74F. It was very actively fermenting and had to use blowoff tube. Ugh. Am impatient or is this beer going to be not so good.

Thanks,

It's infected. Probably acetobacter. Drink it as long as you can then dump it.

Maybe...
Warmer fermentation can produce odd flavors sometimes. Give it some time, maybe even rack to a secondary if off flavor begins to fade any at all.

Winelike flavors are generally either acetic acid (think vinegar) or oxidation (think sherry). A Weizen yeast at that temperature should produce a bubblegum-flavored beer, not exactly the flavors I'd associate with wine. I don't know how old the beer is but a wine-like flavor generally won't improve over time, regardless of the cause, and if it is an infection, it will only get worse. I still think the OP should drink it as long it's palatable and then dump the rest.

UGH! I have been quite careful with sanitation. This is disappointing news...

Hello,
I just tasted my hefe and it tastes like wine. I am a little early tasting it (brewed 1/30) as it my first "original" recipe and I wanted to see how it turned out. Nothing special just 57% red wheat, 25% pilsner, 8% caracrystal wheat malt and1% acidulated malt. Long mash as i tried to step mash and that did not work so well. Probably mashed vor nearly 2 hours starting around 110F and finally getting to 152 for at least 45 minutes. 1 pack of wyeast 3068. I think I fermented too high, around 74F. It was very actively fermenting and had to use blowoff tube. Ugh. Am impatient or is this beer going to be not so good.

Thanks,
Yes, you fermented too high. 74 is the top of temp limit for this yeast. I use 3068 for most every brew and it doesn't like being at that high of a temp. 64-65 is optimal starting temp for this yeast for first 3-4 days. Then can be broughtup to 70 or so to finish off for last couple of days, then it's ready to be bottled/kegged.
Over pitching hefe will result in off flavors also, which if you had to use a blowoff you may have done.

From Wyeast pag:
STRAIN:

WEIHENSTEPHAN WEIZEN

Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae

The classic and most popular German wheat beer strain used worldwide. This yeast strain produces a beautiful and delicate balance of banana esters and clove phenolics. The balance can be manipulated towards ester production through increasing the fermentation temperature, increasing the wort density, and decreasing the pitch rate. Over pitching can result in a near complete loss of banana character. Decreasing the ester level will allow a higher clove character to be perceived. Sulfur is commonly produced, but will dissipate with conditioning. This strain is very powdery and will remain in suspension for an extended amount of time following attenuation. This is true top cropping yeast and requires fermenter headspace of 33%.

LOW
FLOCCULATION

ATTENUATION

73-77
TEMPERATURE RANGE

64-75
ABV

I used to be a beer lover. Every weekend, I would hit up local breweries, trying out new flavors and soaking in the lively atmosphere. However, as I got older, my tolerance for alcohol started to wane. I found myself getting drunk quicker and feeling hungover for longer.

I used to be a beer lover. Every weekend, I would hit up local breweries, trying out new flavors and soaking in the lively atmosphere. However, as I got older, my tolerance for alcohol started to wane. I found myself getting drunk quicker and feeling hungover for longer.
Drink more water.

I agree with this. could be any number of wild yeasts or bacteria, but something went wrong if it taste like wine. that recipe should be a good one, and fermenting on the high end will bring out the banana in the yeast. something you prolly want for a hefe.

Yes, you fermented too high. 74 is the top of temp limit for this yeast. I use 3068 for most every brew and it doesn't like being at that high of a temp. 64-65 is optimal starting temp for this yeast for first 3-4 days. Then can be broughtup to 70 or so to finish off for last couple of days, then it's ready to be bottled/kegged.
Over pitching hefe will result in off flavors also, which if you had to use a blowoff you may have done.

From Wyeast pag:
STRAIN:

WEIHENSTEPHAN WEIZEN

Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae

The classic and most popular German wheat beer strain used worldwide. This yeast strain produces a beautiful and delicate balance of banana esters and clove phenolics. The balance can be manipulated towards ester production through increasing the fermentation temperature, increasing the wort density, and decreasing the pitch rate. Over pitching can result in a near complete loss of banana character. Decreasing the ester level will allow a higher clove character to be perceived. Sulfur is commonly produced, but will dissipate with conditioning. This strain is very powdery and will remain in suspension for an extended amount of time following attenuation. This is true top cropping yeast and requires fermenter headspace of 33%.

LOW
FLOCCULATION

ATTENUATION

73-77
TEMPERATURE RANGE

64-75
ABV
fermenting too high wont cause what he is tasting.

have made a few hefes with that strain and fermented the whole time at 72F. turned out great, very much a banana bomb

@Aje1967
It's not clear to me if the beer is already bottled or still in the fermenter?
Uncarbed warm beer does taste quite strange.

That's when I discovered drinking kava. At first, I was skeptical. I had never heard of kava before and wasn't sure what to expect. But after trying it for the first time at a Kava Bar, I was hooked.

Ah, the bot makes it's move.
Ya know, URL links are allowed on the first post here, no need to wait or post a bunch first. But now you know that...

That's when I discovered drinking kava. At first, I was skeptical. I had never heard of kava before and wasn't sure what to expect. But after trying it for the first time at a Kava Bar, I was hooked.
At first, I was skeptical about drinking my own homebrew, but after drinking shitloads of it, I was hooked LOL.

Winelike flavors are generally either acetic acid (think vinegar) or oxidation (think sherry). A Weizen yeast at that temperature should produce a bubblegum-flavored beer, not exactly the flavors I'd associate with wine. I don't know how old the beer is but a wine-like flavor generally won't improve over time, regardless of the cause, and if it is an infection, it will only get worse. I still think the OP should drink it as long it's palatable and then dump the rest.
I am so glad someone has acknowledged the two common tastes I had with my early homebrew batches! Bubble gum and white wine flavors! It was discouraging. I kept mentioning it to people, but no one ever explained it how Nosy just did. Thank you! But just for argument sake, I found with my earlier "terrible" bubble gum wine tasting bottled brew would mellow out and taste a lot less like those two things if I would let it bottle condition for a couple of months. I say drink what you can or want then store it and check it in a couple of months.

Back