Willy Wonka brewers - need recipe

Anth M

Trial Member
Reaction score
G'day brewers,

I have these hops left over, can anyone suggest an AG recipe that won't taste like poo? I do 15L batches hence the small sizes.

Magnum 38 gm
Galaxy 17 gm
EK Goldings 40 gm
Fuggles 39 gm

Cheers!

"Oompa Loompa, doompadee brew"

G'day brewers,

I have these hops left over, can anyone suggest an AG recipe that won't taste like poo? I do 15L batches hence the small sizes.

Magnum 38 gm
Galaxy 17 gm
EK Goldings 40 gm
Fuggles 39 gm

Cheers!

"Oompa Loompa, doompadee brew"
Going with the Willy winking wonka chocolate theam you could brew a chocolate stout using your fuggles and EKG hops and magnum for the bitter end of the deal keep your galaxy for another hop forward day;).

As for the grist I've not brewed on the dark side too often so some more knowledgeable brewers who delight in higher Lovibond of life may be able to stir your mash paddle if ya get my drift....:)

Going with the Willy winking wonka chocolate theam you could brew a chocolate stout using your fuggles and EKG hops and magnum for the bitter end of the deal keep your galaxy for another hop forward day;).

As for the grist I've not brewed on the dark side too often so some more knowledgeable brewers who delight in higher Lovibond of life may be able to stir your mash paddle if ya get my drift....:)
Thanks mate, you've got me thinking already. Hopefully someone else chimes in with the golden ticket for grains.

Dry or sweet for the dark suggestions? Or any dark beers you like? I'll mention a black IPA, but I think the Galaxy would be better saved for a more blonde beer.

Dry or sweet for the dark suggestions? Or any dark beers you like? I'll mention a black IPA, but I think the Galaxy would be better saved for a more blonde beer.
I'm not a huge dark beer fan but keen to explore. I don't mind the White Rabbit dark ale. As we get cooler weather I'd like to try something creamier like choc/coffee stout.

Thanks guys for you suggestions. To keep it simple for now I'm going to try this:

This is a "Dry Stout" recipe scaled from 23 L to 15 L.

pale malt 2.4 kg
flaked barley 326 gm
roasted barley 293 gm
chocolate malt 65 gm

60 min mash
70 min boil
Hops: 40 gm of EKG start of boil.

Wyeast 1084 irish ale

Look OK? For the grain bill what should I use for pale malt? MO or other?

Tks guys.

Sounds like a classic dry Irish stout. The yeast and the flaked barley will help the smoothness. For the base grainI tend to use Marris Otter, pale ale or the Gladfield Aurora.

The Gladfield is an attempt to match the Marris Otter flavour using a different barley grain. I've used it a few times and enjoyed the results, but it's hard to tell what contributes to what when you've got roasted grains in the mix. I'd have to be much more structured on only changing one thing to really know the difference.

A longer mash will also dry it out a bit, but maybe a change for a later batch if you like the first.

Sounds like a classic dry Irish stout. The yeast and the flaked barley will help the smoothness. For the base grainI tend to use Marris Otter, pale ale or the Gladfield Aurora.

The Gladfield is an attempt to match the Marris Otter flavour using a different barley grain. I've used it a few times and enjoyed the results, but it's hard to tell what contributes to what when you've got roasted grains in the mix. I'd have to be much more structured on only changing one thing to really know the difference.

A longer mash will also dry it out a bit, but maybe a change for a later batch if you like the first.
Tks Mark,

I'll go the MO to be safe this time. I normally do a 60 min boil, is there any diff doing 70 min like recipe states or is it splitting hairs? I do BIAB btw.

Don't see much point to 70 if you're comfortable with 60 and it's a standard 5-6% ABV. It may have been something from the original recipe to get a particular boil off requirement. But that's guessing.

The longer boils make sense when you're trying to drive off some components of really blonde grains or you want to drive up the ABV. Though some people's systems do prompt them to do things a certain way.

I'm BIAB myself and I don't think it really changes anything here.

Don't see much point to 70 if you're comfortable with 60 and it's a standard 5-6% ABV. It may have been something from the original recipe to get a particular boil off requirement. But that's guessing.

The longer boils make sense when you're trying to drive off some components of really blonde grains or you want to drive up the ABV. Though some people's systems do prompt them to do things a certain way.

I'm BIAB myself and I don't think it really changes anything here.
Yeah think I'll stick with 60 mins. Tks mate.

Back