Gluten Free brew guidance

Paul Russell

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Few questions for yall..

I am still getting used to the basics of brewing but I think I am finally getting it all done pat. I have a lot to learn but one thing that confuses me is the recipe conversions from 5gallons to 1gallon through the website or Mr. Beer program. I get the whole change the gallons to what I want but how about efficiency?

Do I change the efficiency?

Do I change the estimated boil size?

Is there a good GF beer 1 Gallon recipe (darker and not hoppy) that you'd recommend? I want to surprise my mother in law when she comes up here next month

I appreciate it in advance

-Paul

Hello there Paul - welcome to the forum. Are you doing extract or all grain? If extract I don't think you need to worry much about efficiency and if you are doing one gallon all grain you might need to dial it in a lot.

Gotcha! I'm just looking for the easiest recipe for a GF Beer

Tracking all with the efficiency.

How about batch boil size?

Find some sorghum syrup. Don't worry about efficiency, it's 100% for extract/syrup. Scale the batch to the size of the syrup containers, figuring it the same as LME. Simplest way I can think of to make a gluten-free beer (discounting the wort the yeast was grown in, a trace of gluten). Alternately, you could use corn syrup and molasses for flavoring. Hopping gets interesting - sorghum has a naturally tart flavor, unlike barley malt.

Clarity ferm does not result in gluten free beer, just reduced gluten beer. For gluten free, you have to avoid barley, rye and (I think) oats.

Clarity ferm does not result in gluten free beer, just reduced gluten beer. For gluten free, you have to avoid barley, rye and (I think) oats.
Might still be of interest though. Many can tolerate reduced gluten, and it does claim to drop gluten below the fda guidelines for claiming gluten free. Like others, my post is for reference and interest. I make no claims and have no particular knowledge in the subject.

Very good information here. I am looking for a 100% Gluten Free beer because my mother in law has celiac disease however, my wife would be interested in reduced gluten beer. Is there a method to the madness to fight sorghum syrup's tartness? Ill post a recipe to make sure everything lines up.

Very good information here. I am looking for a 100% Gluten Free beer because my mother in law has celiac disease however, my wife would be interested in reduced gluten beer. Is there a method to the madness to fight sorghum syrup's tartness? Ill post a recipe to make sure everything lines up.
Like you fight tartness in anything: Offset it with sweetness. Lactose, since you can't use a "sweet" grain or ferment relatively warm to leave some "sweet" esters in the beer. It'll never taste like a barley beer but it will taste good, made well.

You can also get rice syrup I also see at the shops here in Aus on the shelf not far from the malt extract syrup for making milk drinks and all.

I've done a we bit of reading up before on gluten free type beers and for some reason South Africa comes to mind with their sorghum beers. You'd need some Amylase Enzymes to help convert the starches in an all sorghum mash though.
Any who I've confused myself now carry on good luck with the GF beer.

Oats are gluten free, it's just that it's very hard to find any supplier that will guarantee that they haven't cross contaminated with gluten containing grains.

I've a mate that is a few steps off celiac and we've been looking at various approaches. And as he's a fan of anything dark we've got a lot in common.

We'll be trying clarity ferm first. The enzymes in it break up the gluten to such small components that he's fairly confident it won't trigger any reactions for him (and it's no trouble for me). Though it may not be small enough for some people, so you can't just say it won't cause a problem.

There's a few things you can find in most of the hippie/health food stores like rice malt syrups that can work for simpler beers. As my mate's dark obsessed then if we have to look at gluten free raw materials at least there's more and more suppliers around. This one in the US looks a good source, just need to find something more local. https://www.glutenfreehomebrewing.com/store/featured_products.php

I use 2x Clarity ferm when I make beer for a buddy whose brother is I think Celiac, 1 wasn't enough but 2 has reliably made the beer consumable for him so for an additional $10CAD you could theoretically make a regular beer with them added.

I have used clarity ferm is several different beers. Base recipe, followed the directions on the package. Regular ingredients and the beers taste great. I have a couple friends with celiac disease, not sensitivity and they have not had issues with these beers.

Back