PH and Salt Additions acting up

jmcnamara

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Just tried creating a new recipe since things have settled back down (https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/772882/chocolate-banana-milk-stout). This is only about my 3rd or 4th time using the water calc, but i'm fairly certain i'm doing it the right way.

The problem is when i go to the water calc, input my stuff, save, then go to link it to the recipe it doesn't seem like it's saving correctly. The ph and additions are off.

When i go to edit the water calc, it seems my previously entered data is missing (except it still has the CaCl addition, but it's not what i entered). The acid addition is still set up correctly, but missing the amount.

I've tried this several times, and still the same result.

On top of that, the ph is slightly different if I'm viewing vs editing a recipe.

I've attached a few screenshots, hopefully clearly named for you all to troubleshoot. Thanks
Water Calc Salt Additions.png View Recipe.png Edit Recipe Post Linking Calc Salt Additions.png Water Calc Acid Additions.png Edit Recipe Post Linking Calc.png Edit Recipe Pre Linking Calc.png Water Calc Overall Report.png

Just a couple of quick questions- do you save the recipe first, before trying to link the water calc? It's important to do this (and I just mentioned this morning to the developer that we need a 'save' button down there as well.

Next, you go into the water calc from there by clicking "link" and do the water spreadsheet. I also check the recipe down below and click "update recipe" there to ensure any misc additions are in there as well. Then save/update at the top where you see the projected pH. After you save there, you go back to the recipe (should be in an open window), and click "update recipe", and then it should pull it completely through. The pH will match, as will the additions.

Can you go through that when you have a chance, to make sure we're on the same page with the process?

That will ensure we can fix any issues you're having.

ok. so i went into the recipe, and removed the link to the old water calc. saved.
clicked Link in the recipe. Looks like some additions were pre-filled. i adjusted those, and clicked save / update. it brought me back to top of the page, but my additions were still there.
went to acid additions, input my stuff there, and clicked save / update. it didn't jump to the top of the page, and my info stayed there.
clicked save / update one more time to be sure.
went back to recipe editor, clicked update recipe. things seemed to carry over fine when i was in edit mode. I clicked into view mode, and the ph at least was off again, but going into edit and saving again seemed to have fixed it.

i swear i did all these steps when i first went through it, but i guess i forgot to save somewhere along the way

thanks for the help!

oh, one other thing, would it be possible to have the main stats stay at the top of the editor when you scroll down? It'd be nice to see what changed as you're adding or tweaking malts and hops without having to scroll back up
Screen Shot 2019-01-31 at 3.09.48 PM.png

@Yooper @jmcnamara is describing exactly the same symptoms I'm having, that I messaged you about, but he did it better..

The recipe will update properly if you keep clicking the "Update Recipe" button, it brings one ingredient per click. If you don't do the extra clicks it will lose those ingredients when saving the recipe.

i have no idea if it did that for me, needing to click multiple times to bring everything over

@Yooper @jmcnamara is describing exactly the same symptoms I'm having, that I messaged you about, but he did it better..

The recipe will update properly if you keep clicking the "Update Recipe" button, it brings one ingredient per click. If you don't do the extra clicks it will lose those ingredients when saving the recipe.

Yes, I put a ticket in for it earlier and it should be fixed ASAP. I have no idea why you suddenly have to click more than once, but it will be fixed by someone much smarter than me.

Back