House IPA

MisfitBrewing

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

Will be making batch #3 of my house IPA. Trying to tweak it more to my liking. I used too much 60L (10%) in my last batch, so i'm bringing it down to 5%. Looking to add some Acid Malt to stabilize my mash ( currently only using carbon filtered water, no means to read ph right now) Any feedback would be appreciated. oh yea i brew BIAB.

American IPA

Batch 5 Gal

OG 1.064
FG 1.016
ABV 6.2

GB

11 # 2-Row - 87.6%
10 oz C-60L - 5%
6 oz Acid. Malt - 3%
9 oz Carapils - 4.5%

Mash @ 152 for 60 min.

Hop Schedule

60 min - .5 oz El Dorado
15 min - .5 oz Cascade, .5 oz Mosaic, El Dorado **
5 min - .5 oz Cascade, .5 oz Mosaic, .5 oz El Dorado,**

Steeping Addition @ 170 F for 15 min- 1 oz Cascade,1 oz Mosaic, 1 oz El Dorado, 1 oz Citra

** Thinking of getting rid of the 15 & 5 min addition and making a 10 min addition instead possibly 1 oz of each Cascade,Citra,ED and Mosaic at 10 min and the continue to steeping addition

Dry Hop

HIgh Krausen - 1 oz Cascade & .5 oz of Mosaic, ED & Citra

Will prob use WLP001 but also have London Ale 1318 III. Haven't decided yet.

if you do WLP001, keep the grain bill as is... if you do London III, ditch all crystal malts in favor of a good amount of flaked adjunct. make it either a west coast or a New England. both are good, but it depends on YOUR palate and YOUR tastes.

I recon your grain bill could be simplified by removing the carapils but won't hurt none I think if you leave it. Your hop combination sounds tasty I'm guessing your leaving this the same as your last two runs on this brew? I'd stick with whatever yeast you've been using for this next batch to help you narrow down better to what you want in this IPA. I'd mash high or add some wheat to grist for body is only thing I'd do to it just incase it comes out thin in the mouthfeel. Cheers

Only thing I'd suggest is to never adjust your water if you don't know what you're starting with. Acid malt lowers the mash pH, it doesn't stabilize it.

C-60 is an unusual choice for an IPA. C-40 is more common. If you like the dark-fruit character that comes from the 60, then go for it. As Trialben notes, the Carapils is unnecessary but if you're having trouble with head retention, I suppose it doesn't hurt.
The addition of 3% acid malt is a little high unless you know you need it for ph adjustment. I use 1.5-2% and my tap water starts in the 8.0 PH range. If you're starting with an accurate water profile and the calculator is telling you that the mash PH is right with that much acid malt, then you're fine. If you're just guessing, I'd lower it quite a bit.

if you do WLP001, keep the grain bill as is... if you do London III, ditch all crystal malts in favor of a good amount of flaked adjunct. make it either a west coast or a New England. both are good, but it depends on YOUR palate and YOUR tastes.
Thanks! definitely going for the west coast style on this one

Thanks for all the input fellas. I think I'm going to keep the hops bill but just stick to

11# 2 row
c40 or c 60 .. still reading on the characteristics profile differences.
carapils

yeast WLP001

Thanks for all the input fellas. I think I'm going to keep the hops bill but just stick to

11# 2 row
c40 or c 60 .. still reading on the characteristics profile differences.
carapils

yeast WLP001
Good call on the reading. It depends what you are looking for in flavors. The 60 will take more hops to balance than the 40. If the 60 was to much last time then maybe 40 is your answer or even 20.

Back