Changes to the recipe builder - how do I get custom fermentables into a recipe?

AC

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
There have recently been major changes to the drop down list arrangement for getting custom fermentables from your inventory into a recipe. It used to be very simple: custom fermentables from your inventory would be at the top of the drop down list in the recipe builder and you could simply pick them off the list and add them to a recipe.

I am unable to understand how this now works. Try as I might, I simply cannot seem to find a way to add one of my custom fermentables to a recipe. There are now two drop down lists, one for brand and one for grain. But my items are not on either of these lists, even though I have updated the brand and country details for the relevant grains in my inventory. Instead, even though I pick the malt supplier off the top list, the grain list appears to be populated with generic malts that are not actually products that the maltster supplies.

If I click on the "Inventory" tab in the grain section, the list of my fermentables pops up but when I click on the one I want to use it is not brought back to the recipe.

If I click on the "Filter by inventory" tab, nothing seems to happen.

What am I not doing? I just wanted to make a simple modification to a recipe before brewing this weekend and am now blocked. This is very frustrating. Can somebody please explain how this now works?

There have recently been major changes to the drop down list arrangement for getting custom fermentables from your inventory into a recipe. It used to be very simple: custom fermentables from your inventory would be at the top of the drop down list in the recipe builder and you could simply pick them off the list and add them to a recipe.

I am unable to understand how this now works. Try as I might, I simply cannot seem to find a way to add one of my custom fermentables to a recipe. There are now two drop down lists, one for brand and one for grain. But my items are not on either of these lists, even though I have updated the brand and country details for the relevant grains in my inventory. Instead, even though I pick the malt supplier off the top list, the grain list appears to be populated with generic malts that are not actually products that the maltster supplies.

If I click on the "Inventory" tab in the grain section, the list of my fermentables pops up but when I click on the one I want to use it is not brought back to the recipe.

What am I not doing? I just wanted to make a simple modification to a recipe before brewing this weekend and am now blocked. This is very frustrating. Can somebody please explain how this now works?

Thanks we are looking at this now.

I think we have the adding from inventory issues sorted. Can you try this on our beta site?

https://beta.brewersfriend.com

Still looking into the filter by inventory...

Why did this change? All my recipes were built with inventory items and now they're generic custom fermentables. Or worse, ingredients don't even show up at all in edit mode. Are my recipes screwed???

Hi - add custom is not actually adding the fermentable to the recipe. Note in the screenshot the percentage is at zero. This shot was taken from the beta site but I had the same thing on the regular site.

Screen Shot 2019-01-25 at 12.53.27 pm.png

Once I transfer all my recipes to Goog Drive file, C ya BF. The constant changes to recipe editing and building are ridiculous, and seemingly useless. The forum is cute, but I want good recipe construction. I don't even use your water calc. I don't trust it. Brew day calcs for infusion temperatures are different from all grain mash calcs from the pull down, took a couple tries to get that sorted. Bugs all over the place, too complicated and getting worse.

Last edited:
I s
Why did this change? All my recipes were built with inventory items and now they're generic custom fermentables. Or worse, ingredients don't even show up at all in edit mode. Are my recipes screwed???
I download and save a copy to Google Drive for this reason. BF insists on messing around with the recipe pages, and I don't want any thing to happen to my information, that is saved on this site.

Reactions: J A
DL'd Beersmith 3 . Built a recipe and equip profile in 10 minutes or so.

Just opened a recipe I've been working on and all of the custom fermentables that I had entered are gone. Seriously guys, pull it together. I love this site, so i'm not headed for beersmith yet. Here's a recommendation: test, test and test some more before you go live with something. This is literally preventing me from being able to brew. not good.

I think we have the adding from inventory issues sorted. Can you try this on our beta site?

https://beta.brewersfriend.com

Still looking into the filter by inventory...

Just tested this on the beta site. Adding custom fermentables seems to work, percentages, SRM and IBU appear to be calculated. Existing recipes also appear to bring in custom fermentables correctly as well.

Clicking on "Inventory Filter" still does nothing. I am not sure what this is supposed to do.

Back