Coffee's For Closers

I only had maybe 3/4 of a pound, I turned the burner down, dumped it in, stirred it up, got it back to a boil. It didn't make much difference to gravity, maybe a couple of points. I kept the boil going and kept checking the gravity (thanks to my daughter for getting me the refractometer for Christmas). OG target was 1063, was just going to be happy to get it to 1060, split the difference on ABV and batch volume. After I cut the heat and took a final OG number it ended up being 1065, *?+&$@@$! Batch volume is low, but hey, that is life in the fast lane. Thanks for the quick tips!

I am posting more about this in an efficiency thread I started a while back.

Planning to brew this next.
I have brewed it once more since January 2019.
Changed two of the hop additions from Northern Brewer to Cascade.
I have S-04 on hand, and can definitley use it, but I am wondering if the Voss Kveik would work well with this beer?
Whatcha think?

No clue. I've done one brew with kveik and still haven't packaged it. I really didn't notice a huge difference.

Planning to brew this next.
I have brewed it once more since January 2019.
Changed two of the hop additions from Northern Brewer to Cascade.
I have S-04 on hand, and can definitley use it, but I am wondering if the Voss Kveik would work well with this beer?
Whatcha think?
As you know Craig I'll.be fermenting today's batch with Hornindal at 35c I throws some tropical fruit but I'm betting I won't taste this in a chocolate coffee stout I'm using CTZ and a bit of Chinook at 60min and 20g Chinook at 15 IBUs are clocked in mid 40's.

Ive got some Voss and thought of using this but.the hornindal is fresh and raring to go.

Look forward to hearing how yours turns out there Ben

I did my chocolate stout a few weeks back with opshaug kveik strain. Worked just fine for me. I have found the opshaug doesn't drop as well as if like it to, so I make sure and give it a good cold crashing.

In another thread Ward Chill asked for a blow by blow on this, so...
I brewed this yesterday and pitched VOSS after doing a vitality starter. I had some challenges with volumes, and gravity readings, but after a 3+ hour boil I ended up with 5.5 gallons in one fermenter, and 3 in the other. OG ended up at 1063. The yeast took off like a cheetah after prey. Pitched around 3pm, by 6pm there was a healthy krausen. Planning to bottle the 5 gallons, and keg the 3 gallons.
20200606_081909.jpg

20200606_114939.jpg

20200606_134341.jpg

20200606_142321.jpg

After draining wort into the BK gravity was 1036, I was expecting 1053.
Mash temp was a little lower than planned, started at 154, finished at 151.
After I had been boiling for a while, and had added an undetermined amount of DME, checked the wort left in the MLT.
The gravity of a gallon plus left in the MLT, was around 1063, so I added it into the BK.
I thought it was odd that the gravity of that left behind wort was so much higher.
This is the first time that I added salts to the mash tun. I mixed it up well, but only recirculated for a maybe 5-10 minutes before letting it rest for the balance of the mash. Total mash time probably 75 - 80 minutes.

Finally the question...
I wonder if the pH was unequal, and not ideal for conversion in a large area of the mash tun?
Big mash, 24# of grain, 9 gallons of strike water.

ph could contribute, but I can't see it explaining that difference. Was it an hour mash? I'd be expecting the pH to even out across the kettle in that time frame.

For me I can only think of too much water, not enough grain explanations. You got any attenuation numbers yet?

Just pitched on Saturday afternoon, it's probably done (VOSS Kveik), but I will leave it until the end of the week to take a sample.

Hey Craigerrr.. I'm really sorry... I just stubbed my toe on this post more than a month after you put it up and I really appreciate your detailed blow-by-blow. I may have missed it while I read it having a little lunch here but I still have a question which is how much Voss did you actually pitch? Maybe I missed it as I'm doing some pre-gaming this afternoon with lunch...

Hey Craigerrr.. I'm really sorry... I just stubbed my toe on this post more than a month after you put it up and I really appreciate your detailed blow-by-blow. I may have missed it while I read it having a little lunch here but I still have a question which is how much Voss did you actually pitch? Maybe I missed it as I'm doing some pre-gaming this afternoon with lunch...
Honestly, I have no idea. I used what I harvested from a NEIPA brewed previously, and did a vitality starter with wort pinched from the BK. I am no expert on VOSS, this being the third time I used it, but from what I understand you don't have to pitch a lot. It seems pretty bullet proof to me:D

I should say that this one is pouring magnificently right now. Might just be the best iteration of this recipe yet! I kegged 5+ gallons (keg was full to the tippy top), and ended up with 19 @ 500ml bottles. Going to forget that those bottles are there until the festive season.

I harvested from a NEIPA brewed previously, and did a vitality starter with wort pinched from the BK

Yeah...that's in keeping with what I hear from Brulosphy's Podcast...use a little...get a lot!

Back