Booze and pot

Forgot about this..... in Vermont i had a Hemp Seed & Jalapeno hot sauce. Maybe add some seeds to the secondary?
Hemp seed has no THC in it so it's purely an adjunct and, if you don't mind the oils destroying head retention, a viable addition to a beer.

It's legal here, and five more states just legalized it. I don't use pot and won't be experimenting with it in my brews but it's an inevitability here. Denver has even legalized pot clubs so I wouldn't be too surprised to see a "Mary Jane Ale" pop up some time soon.

Yeah my gf and I were talking about those weed b&b places you guys have. But I digress.

Last I heard 4 states legalized recreational last week: Maine, Massachusetts, Nevada, and California iirc. Several more legalized medical. My old home state has legal medical and decriminalized small amounts. In Louisiana medical is legal and Orleans Parish recently passed legislation that allows police to issue citations for possession of small amounts, which I believe is a step in the right direction. I hear we're supposed to get dispensaries next year.

Back to the topic at hand: if drug warriors in East Bumfu**istan where pot is illegal see a homebrewing site that discusses making or combining homebrew and marijuana, they might have the site banned.

Going back to the OP, when I followed a link about "greening out" (a term that I've never heard that seems like complete b.s.) from the article he/she posted, it went to an Australian site that seemed, shall we say, objectivity-challenged. In fact, the term "fear mongering" came to mind when I saw it. Maybe it's nothing, but to me something doesn't seem kosher here.

I'll stop beating a dead horse now. :)

i have heard randy mosher say that toasted hemp seeds are good, forget what style of beer he was talking about though

About 18-20 years ago (!) I had some hemp ale from Frederick Brewing Co. J-mc, do you remember that brewery? It's Flying Dog now.

Alcohol likely has far worse outcomes on an individual than pot (I won't say will because I'm afraid of another marijuana thread, and there may not be evidence to support the likely fact that it is much worse for an individual). I use CBD oil for medical purposes and would never combine pot and alcohol personally

Also the equipment i operate for a living would amputate any bits i was too spaced to leave in front of it , if you want weed in your life then stay the hell out of my workshop !
Already sacked 2 in last few years for drugs / booze at work and wouldn't blink before doing it again .

I have brewed with it for friends who have less dangerous jobs , i simply outgrew that stuff before i turned 30 ....

No one should smoke or drink before work. However the the one big difference in smokers and drinkers, smokers can stop smoking at midnight and be completely sober in time for work, where as drinkers, who are drunk at midnight , can still be legally drunk 7 hours later at work.

It definitely is interesting but as we know marijuana is a related to hops.
But yea I can buy 100g of cascade for $7.50 I'm not sure what 100g of marijuana would cost these days round here $100bucks? Yep I'm going hops I know there is a predictable outcome where I'm not making a be line to maccas after consuming a few beverages lol
You're on the low side there, more like $5-10 per gram depending on type and store. if you were using this like hops and put 1 oz in a 5 gal brew, would be around $200-$300 just for MJ hops.

You're on the low side there, more like $5-10 per gram depending on type and store. if you were using this like hops and put 1 oz in a 5 gal brew, would be around $200-$300 just for MJ hops.
some vanilla tincture in a glass of chocolate milk stout is relatively cheap

About 18-20 years ago (!) I had some hemp ale from Frederick Brewing Co. J-mc, do you remember that brewery? It's Flying Dog now.
Hemp's different - no THC and no buzz. I don't do pot at all even though it's legal here in CO. Seems an expensive way to get buzzed to me, though, given the prices. They're not as astronomical as given above, not that I've checked. Of course here you could always grow your own, I believe up to 5 plants are legal for personal consumption. Problems with pot are twofold: First, it's still a Federal offense, although the laws aren't enforced here, and second, most employers still don't approve of pot on premises, for reasons given above. I'd hate to lose my job because of a random drug test after a pot beer!

So I'm in JC's camp: A little vanilla tincture in a stout, some coriander in a Wit, all relatively cheap and neither (unless consumed to an extreme) will cost you your job.

Hemp's different - no THC and no buzz. I don't do pot at all even though it's legal here in CO. Seems an expensive way to get buzzed to me, though, given the prices. They're not as astronomical as given above, not that I've checked. .

Well you should go check prices and see if you can get find it for less than $200 an oz, which comes out to about $7 /gram

Average price in Colorado: $53 an ounce, or around $1.90/gram.

Legal here in Canada now, but you can only legally purchase it from regulated sources.
Waaaaay too expensive to brew with.

When I first started brewing a buddy suggested brewing with it. I explained that the batch I was brewing had 8oz of hops in it.... Pot up here at the time was around $90/oz. He said, and I quote: "Oh!, nevermind"...

I wouldn't put it in at $53/oz when I can hop for $2 to $3 an ounce (buying an ounce at a time). Of course, under the current circumstances, I wouldn't put it in at any price and risk my job for a bottle of beer.

These numbers aren't apples to apples either though when comparing hops to mj. An ounce of pot at (for the sake of some whole numbers later) 20% THC made into 5 gallons of beer and assuming 100% extraction (unrealistic but easy for numbers' sake) would yield an end product that would contain 14 (10 mg) "doses" in a single pint of beer. The dose I used is Colorado's legal definition of one edible dose. That's one dose per 1.14 fl oz of beer if I did the math right.

Edit: All said, it's still a bad idea to mix the two, especially if it's not legal in your area (and as people have mentioned, still federally illegal across the US).

Last edited:
oh wow, that's right near me. curious to hear what it's like from some friends who can legally have it

Vodka tincture extracts the active compound from the plant. Add to keg, or late fermentation. Understand the dosing.

Are you talking about the regular pot? If yes, I wouldn't mix it with alcohol. In case you mean medical marijuana, it is ok. I use CBD oil for insomnia, and know from my own experience that nothing wrong can happen if you have a glass of beer. But it has to be noted, CBD and alcohol taken in high doses may cause sleepiness and sedation.

Back