Sugar

Beer_Pirate

Premium Member
Reaction score
I goofed and built a schwarzbier recipe around a base malt with a higher ppg than the malt I actually have. Would a table sugar addition to the tune of 9% of the grist change the beer too much?

It might come out with a thinner mouthfeel than you were planning, but taste wise I think you'd be fine.

I goofed and built a schwarzbier recipe around a base malt with a higher ppg than the malt I actually have. Would a table sugar addition to the tune of 9% of the grist change the beer too much?

Should be as hoga said,another reason to keep a few #s/kgs of DME around just in case. I started keeping some around a few years back and it really comes in handy for spots like this or starters and such.

As the last two posters said, it should be okay, but you would notice a difference if you compared it to a beer brewed with the proper ingredients. Rather than adding sugar amounting to 9% of your fermentables, could you not simply reduce your batch size to take into account the lower potential of your base malt? At least that way you wouldn't have to worry about changing the character of the beer.

Honestly at 9% I don't think you'll notice any difference at all. If you were talking 20% you might notice a difference in mouthfeel but I'd say you're good to go.

As a point of reference Brulosophy just did an exbeeriment on this this week:
brulosophy.com/2018/12/24/sugar-additions-all-malt-vs-sugar-added-during-the-boil-exbeeriment-results/

Result:No perceivable difference by average tasters using 10% sugar vs extra malt.

As a counterpoint I don't think adding sugar will help you with anything except ABV. I would probably just take the lower ABV and drink an extra one!

Schwarzbiers are not really thick and full-bodied, so adding 9% sugar in the boil will not change the beer too much. Schwarzbiers are mildly roasted, subdued bitterness ( too little in my opinion and for my taste ) and have almost no hop flavour. So a darker, commercial Lager style beer. Thin is your last concern with it.

Back