sparkling cider priming

brewbuck

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi , I m making a sparkling cider ans I would like to have it thé most sparkling as I clan. I dont know show much co2 by volume it suppose to have on a sparkling hard cider.

You could use the priming calculator here:
http://www.brewersfriend.com/beer-priming-calculator/

And for reference, use the Lambic or Wheat Beer styles, which is on the highest end of carbonation. Note that if you over carbonate and do not pasteurize, those bottles will explode eventually. If you keg, then you're fine and you can just increase pressure.

A good starting point on a cider would be 1 ounce or 28 grams of table sugar per gallon, added to a finished cider.
If you want to back sweeten, use lactose and you wont have an issue with over pressurized bottles.
Good Luck
Brian

Thanks for answers ..... I would like to use dextrose for priming....what is the difference vs using lactose

lactose doesn't ferment or produce c02, just adds sugar taste, corn sugar does

make a thick good and rich tasting cider and mix it with sparkling water lol

Quality Home Brew said:
lactose doesn't ferment or produce c02, just adds sugar taste, corn sugar does

make a thick good and rich tasting cider and mix it with sparkling water lol

Ok....good to know thanks for the info !

How many gram of lactose can I ad to my cider without making it to sweet?

Ive never actually used it because of my allergies, its made from milk fat then dried I think, you will probably need to google that info, its mostly used in small amounts with dark beers and stouts

Will maltodextrin do the same job?

Also, I made a cider with American Farmhouse yeast which has brett. I believe Brett will eat the maltodextrin, will it eat the Lactose?

Thanks, Rene'

Im not sure on that, you can also use splenda, it doesn't ferment either

Splenda is where I draw the Reinheitsgebot line! ;)

I read somewhere about priming/sweetening, letting them sit for a couple of weeks and then putting the bottle into a 120F water bath for 20min. Or something like that.

Rene'

Back