Crazy attenuation? Fermentis

Apologies for the ignorance, but I use new yeast for every brew, but if you wanted to harvest yeast, wouldn’t it be better to harvest the initial yeast from a starter and grow that? That way you have all the yeast types, not just the bottom feeders, or mid column feeders or even the finishers.

Apologies for the ignorance, but I use new yeast for every brew, but if you wanted to harvest yeast, wouldn’t it be better to harvest the initial yeast from a starter and grow that? That way you have all the yeast types, not just the bottom feeders, or mid column feeders or even the finishers.
That's a possibility, too. You could keep growing starters from a starter but you'd eventually have contamination problems - we can't keep our stuff clean enough not to.

I've also heard upon multiple generations poor floculation can be a sign that it's time the get a new yeast strain going. I only go a few generations my yeast handling practices arnt that great.

I've got some yeast that are on their 7th or more starter cycle, I don't generally go over 10 uses but I'm cheap about yeast.

95% AA if accurate indicates infection or some sort of wild yeast, etc.

T-58, although put only at 70% by Fermentis, it's easy to get it up to 80-85% AA. S-04 can also easily reach 80%.

Maybe you had an inaccurate hydrometer or the sample temperature was too high, faulty measurement, etc.

Wow I didn't even think about the recycled yeast aspect... I know I've harvested yeast a couple of times and reused it for one or two generations, but as a rule I can't be bothered. When I do, I just pick a load of slurry from the bottom.

I insist that those brews were pretty good, so if there's a parasite they're welcome back in my wort:cool: (jk please stay away contaminants, *knock on wood*). But I'll still try to pay attention to that.

I sometimes used the unsealed technique, not locking down the fermenting bucket during high krausen, which is said to yield lower FG, but not by that much. Of course one could see an infection risk there...

Anyway, I guess y'all are right and there must have been some error in my measurements, even if attenuation was a little higher than advertised. Looking forward to my next brews to confirm :)

Wow I didn't even think about the recycled yeast aspect... I know I've harvested yeast a couple of times and reused it for one or two generations, but as a rule I can't be bothered. When I do, I just pick a load of slurry from the bottom.

I insist that those brews were pretty good, so if there's a parasite they're welcome back in my wort:cool: (jk please stay away contaminants, *knock on wood*). But I'll still try to pay attention to that.

I sometimes used the unsealed technique, not locking down the fermenting bucket during high krausen, which is said to yield lower FG, but not by that much. Of course one could see an infection risk there...

Anyway, I guess y'all are right and there must have been some error in my measurements, even if attenuation was a little higher than advertised. Looking forward to my next brews to confirm :)
Well what gets me is Pilsner Urquell one of the most esteemed breweries in the word ferment with no lids on their fermentors or "open fermentation. I was watching this from craft beer channel bellow. Oh and if your thirsty for a beer you will be after this clip!

Nice, especially considering Pilsner Urquell is one of my favourite beers ever.

Back