Smoking, grilling and curing foods, etc.

Because of the diet we're on we don't usually keep bread in the house. I steamed some pastrami and melted some sharp cheddar on it then smeared some mayo and mustard on a warm whole grain tortilla and made a wrap. Wasn't "hot pastrami on rye". but a pretty good substitute.

If beer is liquid bread, as long as you had a beer to wash it down I think you're fine

Would you like the recipe Metanoia?

Well @BOB357 got the rub on the slab for elk pastrami.
20190113_163914_resized_1.jpg

Pretty much stuck with your recipe but added half a tsp of onion powder. Wild game and onion seem to go together for me. Have a 2.5 inch thick chunk fairly even thickness @4.5 lbs. so will give it around 2 weeks? I feel like my first brew! Those spices mixed together are an awesome aroma!

If you feel you need to err, do it on the longer time side. I have modified the ingredients several times and am interested in any other mods to try. That looks good. Please let us know how it turns out.

If you feel you need to err, do it on the longer time side. I have modified the ingredients several times and am interested in any other mods to try. That looks good. Please let us know how it turns out.
Will do. Plan is to flip the vacuum sealed bag twice daily and talk strami to it;) each time.
I did see a recipe from Field and Stream that is very close to yours. The guy says to put in oven after smoking, at low temp with a bullion type liquid, covered to put a bit of moisture in it. I found a salt free beef bullion I may just try. Will see how it comes out first.

This is simple country food.

French Onion Soup

makes exactly six 10 liquid ounce servings

5 pounds of sweet onions sliced thin with a mandolin

raw.jpg

Add a stick of butter to a big pot and melt it. dump in the onions, two cloves of coarsely chopped garlic, two bay leaves, two sprigs of thyme and caramelize for 90 minute (or more)

carmelized.jpg

Three tbs of flour - stir it in good. Now add two cups of red wine and two quarts of beef stock (best you can find). Simmer for 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper if you like. (I don't add pepper and I don't add salt. The sweetness of the onions are the star of this dish)

soup in pot.jpg

ladle into bowls.. Top with three slices of baguette and LOTS of swiss or gruyere cheese. Bake at 350 until bubbly. Finish under the broiler.

in oven.jpg

Enjoy with a friend or lover.

on plates.jpg

Last edited:
Smoked the elk pastrami. For some reason my new corded thermometer goes to 145 about, then stays there. Double checked with old reliable and saved the day. Chilled last night and will carve tonight. Still seams plenty moist so extra few degrees shouldn't have hurt it.
20190127_165621_resized_1.jpg

Good to hear it came out well. Didn't think there'd be a problem. I just applied cure and sealed up a 10 lb. chunk of bottom round that I cut in two. one half will be corned beef for St. Paddy's dinner and the other half I'll just freeze once the cure's done. That'll give me the option of Pastrami or corned beef with it since the cure is the same. I just freeze it without removing from the sealed bag.

WARNING If you're amidst the polar vortex, you might not want to read this.
It's been so nice here lately that I've been craving some ribs with mac & cheese on the side. Safeway had Farmer John's spares for $1.49/lb, this week.That did it for me. Looked in the freezers and only had room for 2 slabs, so I bought 3. Trimmed one down St. Louis style and invited it for supper. Here's a pic after 1 1/2 hrs. at 300F, slathered with butter and honey and ready to wrap.
Ribs.jpg

After 45 minutes I unwrapped and drown in my Sweet n' Spicy BBQ Sauce.
Sauce.jpg

Give them another 15 minutes to set the sauce and it's time to make them disappear.

Nice Job - I think I'm about three hours away...

Back