I brewed today!

I just put it in the washing machine on a 15 minute quick cycle. I've done it at least 50 times with that bag.

You absolutely should.
IYQS6zh.jpg
I've looked at that bag also. It seems to be well made.

It's lasted me over a year now and 49 batches in 2018 so far. It hasn't been handled gently either.

Brew day and cleanup done. Bitter cold today so a hot supper and a few beers are on the schedule now. No dryer sheets this time. Wife and I both checked after the bag came out of the dryer. We'll see if this beer comes out as clear as the Downy Red :rolleyes:

I brewed today, it was a strange day the first half went fast but the boil and chilling took forever, I was trying to beet the sun and during clean up it beet me, for some reason that brew wipe me out

Brew day and cleanup done. Bitter cold today so a hot supper and a few beers are on the schedule now. No dryer sheets this time. Wife and I both checked after the bag came out of the dryer. We'll see if this beer comes out as clear as the Downy Red :rolleyes:
With a bit of string you could repurpose those dryer sheets into hop pouches :D

Brewing a tweeked throw it in Kolsch today a snap brew decision plus I wanted to trial the Electric rig.
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/746681/k97-2-kolsch That's me recipe I thought I had Vienna but used that on another brew dough!

So I canned the malt pipe pretty quick! Wort wasn't traveling through it quick enough with my biab bag in it so I reverted back to just the biab bag suspended in the pot tied to the side to keep it up off the element. So I ended up stuffing the recirculation hose into the biab bag. Just hitting the boil now so will see how efficiency goes.
Only brewing with kettle element too I haven't got the right sized hole saw to install keg land element so it's just a gentle rolling boil.

Oh man oh man all I can say is let me be a lesson to anyone thinking going cheap on electric brewing! Ah it's not all bad news just 90%. So about 40 mins into boil I start smelling this burnt smell :eek: yeah you know it the wort was scorching on the element I knew it straight away! Yes high density Wattage concentrated into less than 3 inches 2200watts of power! Who was I fooling myself first and anyone else thinking of this as a viable option for boiling sugary wort:oops:... let me be a lesson to anyone else thinking of skimping on brewing elements instead of getting something designed for the purpose of boiling sugar water YOU WILL SCORCH THE WORT ON THE ELEMENT!!! I'll admit it was late into the boil but not good enough I'm not sure weather to pitch this yeast into what I taste as Smokey Wort no hops just dominated by burnt :(.

You know what the weird thing is well i calculated 87% brew house efficiency o_O yep I had an extra litre of wort from less boil off with extra 4 points gravity:) so there's a positive for recirculation I suppose.
Oh and lesson #2 yes ha ha I've had a royal arse of a learning curve abd vree sessiin is them little brown pumps well they are little brown pumps and can't handle 100 celcius recirculation for too long. I recirculated at boiling with IC chiller at 15 to go to sanitize so I could circulate wort over the coils for cooling yes it did this but when I fired it up for cleaning it concked out:mad: whaaaaatt!!!

So fellow brewers hopefully you won't be as unlucky as me but don't use cheap elements and pumps:rolleyes: as other more expirienced brewers on here have said get good quality gear once so you don't end up like me having to fork out the $ anyhow on the right stuff second time round.

As a positive I always see my failures as a means to learn and a triumph in a way, you get knock backs and knock downs in life it's how you get.back up that.matters ( how many HBs have I had) how better to learn than from the school of hard knocks.
Below is a acid cleaned version of the element at fault.
How are people brewing with these things and getting away with ito_O lower wattage I suppose. Anyhow I'll wait till I get that kegland element in now!
20181213_181315.jpg

Oh man oh man all I can say is let me be a lesson to anyone thinking going cheap on electric brewing! Ah it's not all bad news just 90%. So about 40 mins into boil I start smelling this burnt smell :eek: yeah you know it the wort was scorching on the element I knew it straight away! Yes high density Wattage concentrated into less than 3 inches 2200watts of power! Who was I fooling myself first and anyone else thinking of this as a viable option for boiling sugary wort:oops:... let me be a lesson to anyone else thinking of skimping on brewing elements instead of getting something designed for the purpose of boiling sugar water YOU WILL SCORCH THE WORT ON THE ELEMENT!!! I'll admit it was late into the boil but not good enough I'm not sure weather to pitch this yeast into what I taste as Smokey Wort no hops just dominated by burnt :(.

You know what the weird thing is well i calculated 87% brew house efficiency o_O yep I had an extra litre of wort from less boil off with extra 4 points gravity:) so there's a positive for recirculation I suppose.
Oh and lesson #2 yes ha ha I've had a royal arse of a learning curve abd vree sessiin is them little brown pumps well they are little brown pumps and can't handle 100 celcius recirculation for too long. I recirculated at boiling with IC chiller at 15 to go to sanitize so I could circulate wort over the coils for cooling yes it did this but when I fired it up for cleaning it concked out:mad: whaaaaatt!!!

So fellow brewers hopefully you won't be as unlucky as me but don't use cheap elements and pumps:rolleyes: as other more expirienced brewers on here have said get good quality gear once so you don't end up like me having to fork out the $ anyhow on the right stuff second time round.

As a positive I always see my failures as a means to learn and a triumph in a way, you get knock backs and knock downs in life it's how you get.back up that.matters ( how many HBs have I had) how better to learn than from the school of hard knocks.
How are people brewing with these things and getting away with ito_O lower wattage I suppose. Anyhow I'll wait till I get that kegland element in now!View attachment 4571
Well nothing like taking one on the snoot. At least now you know it leads with the left. A Smokey kolsh?

How are people brewing with these things and getting away with ito_O lower wattage I suppose. Anyhow I'll wait till I get that kegland element in now!

here's another thing that you might not have seen, if your recirculating and you have a stuckish mash the wort gets pulled from the bottom and all ends up on top and it can run dry at the bottom and burn the element just like you have pictured, looking at your site glass will tell you that's happening, the level you see is how much liquid is on the bottom, when your mash is sticking that level will drop all the way down so you need to mark on the site glass 2 inches higher than the element and stop the pump or shut the ball valve and stir, this happens to me all the time especially when using flaked grains

Yeah I'll pitch the yeast this morning and let it ride. Ha ha Smokey Kolsch it is. Yeah the way I obliterate my grains no wonder the wort was having trouble getting through. I also gotta allow more flow out the basket if I want to go this way so will get stuck into it with the grinder.

you need a ball valve for speed control after the pump, start out at half way closed

Back