Water chemistry section of recipe - iPAD

Moose_MI

Premium Member
Reaction score
Ive been using BF for a few years and the water chemistry linking used to be pretty straight forward. A few months ago it was “improved” relative to how you would enter into the water chemistry from the recipe builder.

I cant figure out how to now make it work. I don’t know if it’s because I’m using an iPad or what but it’s a huge PITA now. Ive struggled with it thinking that it would get fixed but it’s not any better.

I’m now trying to build a new recipe and need to just link the grist like i have done many times and figure out my mash additions but i just cant figure out what this thing is doing.

I know I’m not being specific about the issue but it’s so screwy I don’t know how to explain it...it used to be relatively intuitive and now i cant figure out what the heck I need to do.

Am i the only one complaining about this?

Ive been using BF for a few years and the water chemistry linking used to be pretty straight forward. A few months ago it was “improved” relative to how you would enter into the water chemistry from the recipe builder.

I cant figure out how to now make it work. I don’t know if it’s because I’m using an iPad or what but it’s a huge PITA now. Ive struggled with it thinking that it would get fixed but it’s not any better.

I’m now trying to build a new recipe and need to just link the grist like i have done many times and figure out my mash additions but i just cant figure out what this thing is doing.

I know I’m not being specific about the issue but it’s so screwy I don’t know how to explain it...it used to be relatively intuitive and now i cant figure out what the heck I need to do.

Am i the only one complaining about this?

I think that just one thing is missing in your technique- the 'update' button back on the recipe when you go from the water calc back to the recipe.

When you finish the recipe's ingredients, you click "save". Then, go to the water section on the bottom right and click "link" to link a water calculator. go through the water calc as always (the grist is pulled in for you), and do your water additions. The pH will show at the top to keep you advised of where it is with the acid/base/salts/ Then when you finish there, you can go back to the recipe screen and click "update". That will pull in the water additions, pull in the projected pH, etc.

If you're still having issues, please let me know. I can pull out my iPad and do some screenshots. If you don't see those choices, if you could post some screenshots, that will help. Also, what browser are you using and which version of iOS? That way I can make sure that we're (literally) on the same page.

I have found that I have to enter the mash and sparge water volumes in the recipe as well as in the water calculator to get the mash pH to match. I have mentioned this before, so forgive me for the repetition. I think it would make sense if the water calculator wasn't a separate function, I think it would be much simpler if the water, and water additions were just ingredients in the recipe. In the recipe, you update the grain bill, save the changes, and presto! Resulting changes are updated. I figured out how to get it to work, but it is a bit of a struggle.

I think that just one thing is missing in your technique- the 'update' button back on the recipe when you go from the water calc back to the recipe.

When you finish the recipe's ingredients, you click "save". Then, go to the water section on the bottom right and click "link" to link a water calculator. go through the water calc as always (the grist is pulled in for you), and do your water additions. The pH will show at the top to keep you advised of where it is with the acid/base/salts/ Then when you finish there, you can go back to the recipe screen and click "update". That will pull in the water additions, pull in the projected pH, etc.

If you're still having issues, please let me know. I can pull out my iPad and do some screenshots. If you don't see those choices, if you could post some screenshots, that will help. Also, what browser are you using and which version of iOS? That way I can make sure that we're (literally) on the same page.

When i click “link” it ones have my grain info but the water calc page is no longer primed with how much mash/sparse water i need based on recipe. It Used to be that this was filled in

Attachments

• 28106E66-AB17-4062-B1F9-785AE2FF1F33.jpeg
    28106E66-AB17-4062-B1F9-785AE2FF1F33.jpeg
    381.4 KB · Views: 111
When i click “link” it ones have my grain info but the water calc page is no longer primed with how much mash/sparse water i need based on recipe. It Used to be that this was filled in

Just figured out that if i enter the quarts of water in mash guidelines on recipe that i get water amounts carried over to mash chemistry. I think it used to do this automatically based on lbs of grain and mash thickness

Just figured out that if i enter the quarts of water in mash guidelines on recipe that i get water amounts carried over to mash chemistry. I think it used to do this automatically based on lbs of grain and mash thickness

No, it came from the 'quick water requirements', and not the recipe. That's why it was changed. We are working on it coming from the recipe amount, but for now you have to enter those amounts.

Ok...well i got 15G of a new Irish red recipe fermenting. :). Target mash ph was 5.4 and i got 5.36...I’m good with that.

Thanks for your help. Overall, I really like BF. Appreciate your efforts to improve it.

Cheers!

Back