Alternate priming sugar for a Belgian Wit

White Haus Brews

Trial Member
Reaction score
Okay guys and gals,

I'm planning to bottle my Belgian Wit beer tonight but when I went to get the priming sugar ready I found out my mini brew assistants used all of it making "Kung Fu panda bread" (still don't know what that is)...

My question is: do you think I could get away with priming with powdered or turbinado sugar. I lean towards powdered as I'm not sure the darker sugar flavor would compliment the flavor profile of the Witt but perhaps it's such a small amount it's not really noticable anyway? Suggestions would be appreciated!

Plain old table sugar. The small amount you use won't have any impact on the flavor so spending extra on something special for priming is unnecessary.
Unless you mean that there's literally not a few ounces of table sugar in the house. In that case either will do. Turbinado is probably easier to handle and measure.

Okay guys and gals,

I'm planning to bottle my Belgian Wit beer tonight but when I went to get the priming sugar ready I found out my mini brew assistants used all of it making "Kung Fu panda bread" (still don't know what that is)...

My question is: do you think I could get away with priming with powdered or turbinado sugar. I lean towards powdered as I'm not sure the darker sugar flavor would compliment the flavor profile of the Witt but perhaps it's such a small amount it's not really noticable anyway? Suggestions would be appreciated!
Powdered sugar is ground table sugar, sucrose. No advantage in using powdered sugar over cane sugar. Turbinado is impure sucrose, should give about the same results as cane sugar with the flavor

Should be minimal. Sorry for the interruption...

Thanks guys turbinado for the win tonight (a little concerned about the corn starch added in the powdered sugar). And yes JA I do mean that we currently have no white sugar in the house. I typically prime with good ole table sugar :) Cheers my friends!

Reactions: J A
Thanks guys turbinado for the win tonight (a little concerned about the corn starch added in the powdered sugar). And yes JA I do mean that we currently have no white sugar in the house. I typically prime with good ole table sugar :) Cheers my friends!

Just a thought, would the corn starch add cloudiness and mouthfeel or be just plain wierd?

The corn starch would add to the cloudiness. Might be a bit weird though. But you wouldn't be using a whole lot so probably not so bad. I've heard of people adding flour to get the heffe cloud haze and it can't be worse than that.

Okay guys and gals,

The proverbial measuring cup and a walk over to the neighbors house. :D

The proverbial measuring cup and a walk over to the neighbors house. :D

Who just so happens to also be my brewing buddy so I'm sure he would have helped me out. But all is well that ends well, I actually tried a bottle last night and I'm really happy with it. Not quite ready yet (only 4 days post bottling) but already starting to carb up nicely!

Thanks all! :)

Reactions: J A

Back