Dry hop timing question

Kees77

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone

I am about to do my first all grain brew. First brew for that matter. I am all set and ready to go but have a silly question regarding the dry hop process. The recipe I have states dry hop - 7 days. Curious to know if this means i add the dry hops on day 7 of fermentation or do I add it after the yeast and ferment for 7 days? or do i add the dry hops when i transfer from the fermentor to the carboy. Sorry if this was asked before. my search gave me errors

it means dry hop for 7 days but I would start the dry hop at day 5 of the fermentation while the yeast is still pushing C02 out to prevent oxidation

All hop times are listed in duration - time in minutes for the boil hops and in days for dry hops. It seems like 7 days is sort of a default dry hop time, but 3 to 4 days is usually enough to get the benefit without any potential unwanted side effects like vegetal/grassy flavor.

My general process .. wait until fermentation slows .. almost complete.. then throw dry hops in and bottle or keg 5 to 7 days later

Last edited:
Sounds like you've got the answer you're looking for but haven't a great 1st brew!

Thanks everyone. The beer is done and fermenting. .... My first batch!!!
It smelled great. Cant wait to keg it.

Reactions: J A
Congrats on the first batch, now your job is to be patient, let the yeast do with the yeast does, give it 2 weeks buddy!

Back