best online brew shop?

oliver

Premium Member
Reaction score
Who here (in the United States to make things easier) orders all of their stuff online? I mean EVERYTHING. grains, hops, especially yeast, minerals, DME, equipment...etc

If this is you, where do you order from?? How is the freshness of the yeast staying cold?? How about shipping costs? What about availability of ingredients, like limited supplies of Galaxy hops, or specialty malts?

I buy grains locally but I shop around for hops and yeast, some companies have free shipping or free over a certain amount, MoreBeer does that allot but I don't buy from one place I buy from many, homebrewery.com, Adventures in Home Brewing, MoreBeer, Farmhouse brewing, Hops Direct, Great Fermentation's, William's Brewing, Home Brew Supply and Many more, I also buy from amazon

I'm lucky enough to be able to get most things locally, but I like More Beer and Northern Brewer.

Get most things from local but when I do shop online I go with Northern Brewer simply because of good customer service.
In past I have clicked on wrong thing when ordering and the people I talked to on phone were very courteous and helpful when I needed to make changes or substitutes when something was out of stock. Also have free shipping on purchases over $30.

In this world of walmarts/,menards where employees are rarely helpful in finding anything, amazing how I always find the employee who says "This isn't my dept, let me call suzy" , :] Stores with good customer service will get my money every time.

I buy grains locally but I shop around for hops and yeast, some companies have free shipping or free over a certain amount, MoreBeer does that allot but I don't buy from one place I buy from many, homebrewery.com, Adventures in Home Brewing, MoreBeer, Farmhouse brewing, Hops Direct, Great Fermentation's, William's Brewing, Home Brew Supply and Many more, I also buy from amazon
I get most of my grain locally as well. Hops on the other hand, I’m finding are harder to get a high quality. Shops that repackage their own 1 and 2 ounce hop packages from 44 pound packages sometimes harm the hops with poor handling practices. If they carry Hop Union, then I buy them. Otherwise, I go on line to try to find HU. So far I have had good results with Yakima Valley Hops too. It sucks to go through brewing a beer and realize your hops are “cheesy” or have an off musty or oxidized aroma and flavor.

Ironically, I live close to Northern Brewer and I’m buying less from them and more from a brew shop closer to me. Some of the smaller home brew shops are really stepping it up.

Unfortunately, both my LHBS have closed down. There are some brew shops either hour and half away or near my in-laws three hours away. If I won't be going either direction, I've been purchasing from grain and yeast from MoreBeer, Atlantic Brew Supply, and Adventures in Homebrewing. Hops from Yakima Valley, Farmhouse, and Fresh Hops. Equipment from Morebeer, AIH, RiteBrew, Keg Connection, and Williams. I used to purchase from Norther Brewer, but since NB and Midwest were bought by ABI, I've looked elsewhere.

LHBS supplies most of my needs. I pick up the occasional item from Amazon or some other online supplier.

My go to place is RiteBrew but they don't always having everything. It also helps that I live close enough to get next day shipping for $7.

I get most of my hops and yeast on line. I use MoreBeer Yakima Valley Hops and WIlliams Brewing primarily.For the few specialty items that none of them stock I use Amazon, Great Fermentations, Brew Hardware and Norcal Brewing Solutions. I get the majority of my grains from my LHBS which is about an hour away.

Not American but I tend to go with all my grains locally and then yeast and hops online more often than not. The LHBS has some stupid markup on things not grain. Amazon in Canada is a joke for brewing stuff, easily 3x the price of an online shop for some reason.

I have two LHB shops within 20 minutes drive. I have been leaning more toward one called Short Finger in Kitchener Ontario, they have a better selection of specialty malts. They also don't repackage their hops, it is all in factory sealed bags, 1oz, 8oz, and 16oz. Good selection of yeast as well, all of the usual granular varieties, and they have a good selection of OYL, and Escarpment Labs. I typically buy all of my ingredients per recipe, except I have a pretty decent variety of hops in my freezer.

Northern Brewer is who I use. They’ve always stepped up to the plate with anything wrong and not only make any errors wrong, but offer a nice discount on a future order. My local HBS has grains and such, but whenever I need yeast they are either out, or it’s nearly outdated. I’ve purchased from Morebeer and they have a distribution center less than an hour from me, but their custom service pales in comparison to NB. NB’s “Brewmasters” are always available to help as well. Shipping is either free or fairly cheap.

Michigan Brew Supply is my go to for grains and adjuncts. I buy my base grains in bulk so I need to drive and pick up. They are awesome and have in-state shipping of $5.00 for up to 20 lbs. of grains. When gas is above $2.50/gal I cannot drive there and back for the $5. Hops come from either ritebrew or Yakima Valley. Dry yeast I order on Amazon..

Obviously the choice should be The Brew Mentor!
I was in Mentor a few weeks ago, we went to Cleveland for the Browns Falcons game, stopped at the Save On in Mentor to load up with some great local brews to consume, and bring home. Had I known I would would have paid you a visit!

Last edited:
I was in Mentor a few weeks ago, we went to Cleveland for the Browns Falcons game, stopped at the Save On in Mentor to load up with some great local brews to consume, and bring home. Had I known I would would have paid you a visit!
If you ever are heading this way, reach out and I'll show you around!

My go to place is RiteBrew but they don't always having everything. It also helps that I live close enough to get next day shipping for $7.
Same here, love that next day shipping

If you ever are heading this way, reach out and I'll show you around!
Will do Bud, not sure when that will be, next year we are planning to go to Nashville, after that who knows, Pittsburgh, or Detroit...

Back