Tilt and other electronic hydrometers are supported!

We now have DIY support for both iSpindel
and any custom app / device you want to use.

Integrations
Cloud URL to copy and supported device info
https://brewersfriend.com/homebrew/profile/account

Device Settings
Active devices and device forward URLs
https://brewersfriend.com/homebrew/profile/devicesettings

screenshot-2018-10-25-13-16-02-png.4153

Brew Session Fermentation Tab
For iSpindel and any custom apps you need to post to the cloud URL to see it available in the dropdown.

iSpindel http://www.ispindel.de/

Will also report battery %
screenshot-2018-10-25-14-51-23-png.4158

screenshot-2018-10-25-13-15-05-png.4152

Custom Stream App
screenshot-2018-10-25-13-14-11-png.4154

For custom stream apps you will post JSON data to the stream cloud URL
Code:
{
"name": "MyBrewApp",
"temp": "",
"temp_unit": "C", // C, F or K
"gravity": "",
"gravity_unit": "P", // G or P
"ph": "",
"comment": "",
"beer": ""
}

We also added paging in edit readings.

screenshot-2018-10-25-13-40-57-png.4155

Using Raspberry Pi:

The phone app only sends when you are within Bluetooth range of the Tilt in your fermenter. The Tilt communicates over bluetooth to save battery so you can use a Raspberry Pi to communicate with the Tilt and send the data over WiFi to BrewersFriend. Once you have a raspberry pi, here are some steps to set this up.

Download the Tilt Pi image

Download Etcher to burn the image to a micro sd card

Insert the micro sd card and plug in your raspberry pi with a keyboard and monitor to setup WiFi.

After it's connected to your WiFi, plug it in near your fermenter and open http://tiltpi.local:1880/ui

Under Logging > Cloud Settings, paste the Cloud URL from your brew session and hit enter to save it.

The Tilt Pi defaults to sending data every 5 minutes and will now send the gravity and temperature of your fermentation to BrewersFriend.

To test it right away, you can enter a comment and hit enter to send.
screenshot-2018-10-17-10-07-19-png.4121

Can anyone tell me how to configure iSpindel ? I have treid but without sucess. Thx.

Hi! I was able to create an iSpindel device after the first HTTP POST, but I get error "We're sorry, the system is having difficulty right now. Administrators have been notified. RDWHAHB!" on the next POST requests. Can you please share an example JSON message for iSpindel?

Those dohickeys seem a technologically advanced solution to a rather simple problem.... As a professional metrics geek, they produce what seems to me to be too much information. But hey, some guys like them!

Hi! I was able to create an iSpindel device after the first HTTP POST, but I get error "We're sorry, the system is having difficulty right now. Administrators have been notified. RDWHAHB!" on the next POST requests. Can you please share an example JSON message for iSpindel?

I'm also able to register the iSpindle with a JSON request and then every subsequent request with sample data ends in error you mentioned.

But I would like to know how to configure it in iSpined configuration interface. I can select only HTTP request but then how to fill the URL, PORT and other data fields ? I'm not sure this is supported because iSpindel sends HTTP POST requests like this:

{
"name":"Green",
"ID":XXXXX,
"token":"XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX",
"angle":75.23137,
"temperature":27.1875,
"temp_units":"C",
"battery":4.588112,
"gravity":75.23137,
"interval":900,
"RSSI":-57
}

I wrote this to admin guys in other thread but they did not approve my post yet so I don't know.

I'm also able to register the iSpindle with a JSON request and then every subsequent request with sample data ends in error you mentioned.

But I would like to know how to configure it in iSpined configuration interface. I can select only HTTP request but then how to fill the URL, PORT and other data fields ? I'm not sure this is supported because iSpindel sends HTTP POST requests like this:

{
"name":"Green",
"ID":XXXXX,
"token":"XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX",
"angle":75.23137,
"temperature":27.1875,
"temp_units":"C",
"battery":4.588112,
"gravity":75.23137,
"interval":900,
"RSSI":-57
}

I wrote this to admin guys in other thread but they did not approve my post yet so I don't know.

Hi Misiak, Thanks for letting us know. That post data looks correct, we did find an issue posting, this is fixed, if you can try again.

Just a quick question, but how do I actually set up the iSpindel to post to the URL? Do I use the HTTP option, or am I missing something?

Also, where is the API key, and other settings?

Halp!

Hi Misiak, Thanks for letting us know. That post data looks correct, we did find an issue posting, this is fixed, if you can try again.
Thanks for reply. I will try that with REST API, but please can you tell me how to configure iSpindel properly ? Look at this example configuration for Monitor.beer, what do we need to set for iSpindel to work with brewersfriend ? I've tried to set my API key in the URL but this is too long for iSpindel. Also HTTPS protocol is questionable, but not sure if iSpindel can handle this protocol. Thanks a lot!

Just a quick question, but how do I actually set up the iSpindel to post to the URL? Do I use the HTTP option, or am I missing something?

Halp!

Yes, exactly this I would like to know as well. Hopefully avantassel can bring some light on this.

Attachments

• ispindel.png
    ispindel.png
    85.4 KB · Views: 553
Last edited:
I can confirm with following POST request it's working (device has to be enabled in brew session). Now only just to know how to setup this in iSpindel configuration properly. Thank you!

Edit: Please note that iSpindel sends battery status in Voltage and not percentage so it's not displayed correctly in brewersfriend.

Avantassel, if you would be interested PM me, I could implement a brewersfriend preset in iSpindel firmware so this would make things easier for iSpindel users.

Attachments

• request_sucess.png
    request_sucess.png
    41.6 KB · Views: 386
Last edited:
I can confirm with following POST request it's working (device has to be enabled in brew session). Now only just to know how to setup this in iSpindel configuration properly. Thank you!

Edit: Please note that iSpindel sends battery status in Voltage and not percentage so it's not displayed correctly in brewersfriend.

Avantassel, if you would be interested PM me, I could implement a brewersfriend preset in iSpindel firmware so this would make things easier for iSpindel users.

Thanks Misiak, I will PM you.

The
Thanks for reply. I will try that with REST API, but please can you tell me how to configure iSpindel properly ? Look at this example configuration for Monitor.beer, what do we need to set for iSpindel to work with brewersfriend ? I've tried to set my API key in the URL but this is too long for iSpindel. Also HTTPS protocol is questionable, but not sure if iSpindel can handle this protocol. Thanks a lot!

Yes, exactly this I would like to know as well. Hopefully avantassel can bring some light on this.

Thanks for the feedback, I fixed the battery display and also ability to use HTTP instead of HTTPS

You can find the URL + API key either in your account, https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/profile/account or on the brew session / fermentation tab under devices. I will look into the URL length issue, in the mean time, maybe shorten it with bit.ly or another shortener.

Screenshot 2018-11-12 09.49.13.png

Love this. Small error in the mouseover on the chart though. The temperate is correct in celcius but it has F instead of C.
Looking forward to my next brew to test it out fully.
upload_2018-11-23_14-16-10.png

Halp!

+1
Tried to setup the ispindel without success. What do I have to enter in the ispindel config? I have the latest firmware running.
Thanks!

Back