When to end fermentation...

Adrian Gresores

Trial Member
Reaction score
I have been fermenting a golden ale. Fermentation went as expected and the beer has now reached the expected FG which is stable for the last 2 days. However, the recipe called for 2 weeks of fermentation, and it has only been 9 days. Is there some advantage to waiting longer before cold crashing, or would it be just as good if I cold crashed now?

Thank you.

I have been fermenting a golden ale. Fermentation went as expected and the beer has now reached the expected FG which is stable for the last 2 days. However, the recipe called for 2 weeks of fermentation, and it has only been 9 days. Is there some advantage to waiting longer before cold crashing, or would it be just as good if I cold crashed now?

Thank you.
There is an advantage to leaving the beer alone for the full two weeks: The beer is now cleaning itself up, the yeast are metabolizing some of the off-flavor compounds it threw off in the early stages of fermentation, notably diacetyl. As to cold crashing - if your beer drops bright, no need for it. Unless you're going to lager, that is, keep the beer cold long enough that the polyphenol-protein complexes (chill haze) drop out, all you're doing is making cold beer. You'll drop the yeast out but then they may not be finished and if left long enough, they'll generally drop out on their own.

There is an advantage to leaving the beer alone for the full two weeks: The beer is now cleaning itself up, the yeast are metabolizing some of the off-flavor compounds it threw off in the early stages of fermentation, notably diacetyl. As to cold crashing - if your beer drops bright, no need for it. Unless you're going to lager, that is, keep the beer cold long enough that the polyphenol-protein complexes (chill haze) drop out, all you're doing is making cold beer. You'll drop the yeast out but then they may not be finished and if left long enough, they'll generally drop out on their own.
I will second this post 100%

2 weeks could only help, couldn't hurt.

Some beers can be packaged sooner, but unless and until you're very confident in your yeast pitch and fermentation regimen, 2 weeks is a reasonable rule of thumb. If you had compelling reason to crash and package now, the beer would probably be fine but absent that and assuming good temperature and sanitary conditions, let it ride.

According to Chris White of White labs and Jamil fermentation byproducts are only cleaned up during active fermentation and the "maturation phase" is a myth. Once you're at FG, the cleanup is over. That said, I will sometimes give it the few extra days so that the yeast and sediment kicked up during fermentation settle to the bottom so less ends up in my bottles. But that will happen even faster as you cold crash so I would move ahead.

There is certainly no harm in waiting the extra time, but I don't think you'll get much of a benefit on it besides a few more days of age which could also be done in your bottle or keg. Cheers!

The 2 week rule is good to follow when you lack experience, once you got a lot beers under your belt (brewing I mean} you can be drinking your beer in 2 weeks or less. Not all beers are ready this soon, high gravity and lager beers require more time. It's a judgment call best informed by experience.

I've kegged in as little as 5 days but generally it's around a week after I cold crash and gelatin fine. 2 weeks won't hurt it but it's not really necessaryl

Except my first few brews I typically leave it in primary for 2 weeks, and have left it for as long as 4 weeks when time has not allowed me to rack and package. I'm still pretty green at this, but am speaking to the patience factor.

Back