Editable Brew Steps

nate_d

Trial Member
Reaction score
I'd like to see a way to edit brew steps per recipe. I'd like to remove steps that I'm not doing and reorder steps to better fit my workflow. Also with late additions of fermentables if the boil time is set to 0 the item should show up in the steps after flame out, but default puts it in the 10 min stop regardless of time.

My thought on implementation is that I would choose a brew step template for the recipe and save it with the recipe, that template could then be edited.

That concept is built into the architecture, something we planned for.

As for the zero minute bug you are seeing, we'll check on that.

+1 for editing brew steps. I would like to be able to adjust the time stamp on the fly. Often I am in the middle and cannot check off the item until many minutes later and therefore the times are not accurate.

+1 from me. I'm debating whether to upgrade to a Premium Membership and this is the only item holding be back. I really like the concept of this being a web based solution. I'm slightly OCD with my recordings and if I could modify the brew steps, that would be perfect. To me, the steps I follow are almost more important than the recipe. Right now I'm keeping custom spreadsheets but its hard to keep consistency and I can't do calculations too well. Please add this feature and you just gained yourself a new customer! Thanks.

Good to know this is so important to you.

Is there a specific step you feel is missing that we could easily add in the mean time?

Thanks for the quick response. You must monitor every discussion thread here!

I don't steep my grains at 165 for 45 minutes every time. Some recipes call for different temperatures and time. I also add my extract at different times during the boil depending on the recipe. Assuming the Late Addition flag for the malts equals last 10 minutes, that helps for some recipes but I have done some that say add malt at the beginning and other malts at 45 mins or 30 mins remaining.

ZooBroo said:
Thanks for the quick response. You must monitor every discussion thread here!

I don't steep my grains at 165 for 45 minutes every time. Some recipes call for different temperatures and time. I also add my extract at different times during the boil depending on the recipe. Assuming the Late Addition flag for the malts equals last 10 minutes, that helps for some recipes but I have done some that say add malt at the beginning and other malts at 45 mins or 30 mins remaining.

True, customer support is an important part of fulfilling our mission to help you brew awesome beer!

When it comes to extract brewing, in practice, yes we could look into allowing brewers to adjust steeping time and temp. However for the most part, steeping is steeping, and since the majority of the sugars are coming from extract, what you care about most is flavor extraction during that step. I am not confident there would be much difference between steeping at 150F for 30 minutes, and 160F for 45 minutes. It really comes down to crush.

As for when to add extract during the boil, that does impact boil gravity (for IBU purposes) and perhaps a very minor degree of caramelization which is probably hard to detect. Customizing when an ingredient goes into the boil would add complexity to the recipe editor. Currently early/late additions are considered added at either the start of the boil (in the case of late additions), or at 10 minutes (in the case of late additions). Again, this is something that amounts to a minor detail, as in the end OG is the same either way.

Given that you are thinking about these things, you are probably ready for partial mash or even all grain brewing, and at that point these concerns would be much less of an issue. You will also enjoy the Brew Session -> Batch Stats feature for tracking efficiency numbers during your brew.

All that said, we hear you when it comes to customizing brew steps. I want a custom profile that allows me to 'squeeze out the hops' right after flameout for my IPA recipes.

I would love to have the ability to have a custom set of brew steps either on a pr equipment or pr brew basis.
Idealy you customize the steps for your equipment, but you can make some final tweaks with each recepie, or brewsession.

+1

I have a pretty standard routine that varies slightly. I don't really need it in a list format, I have it memorized, but I'd find it very useful for it to actually match my workflow (and timers to match).

+1 Exactly! That's the only thing I see really missing from BF. And very much needed. As several people already pointed out, it would be ideal if this feature would enable:
- template per equipment
- futher tweaking the template per recipe
- ability to change the completion time of each brew step

BR,
J.

+1 to this. I'd like to be able to customize it at the session level most, but it'd be great if you could save a standard list of steps to add like an equipment profile as well.

Weird that you brought this up today, because I JUST said this to the developer three days ago! My gripe was that I don't need to be told to "gather equipment" and I'd like to delete it. That, and the gray bar covers the bottom of my netbook's screen telling me to gather my equipment.

So, we are working on it.

Thanks! I just print out my own steps and keep it with my hard copy of the brew day. To place it on the cloud would help cross referencing.

I think this has been brought up several times and may be already on a list Im not sure which would be better edit on the page or on the profile defaults

so edit / add /subtract on the page or something on your profile page to set defaults for a custom list or reworded

drop downs to pick or not show might be nice in a edit tab

Back