Extended fermentation time

Mad Chemist

Trial Member
Reaction score
I have a batch that I pitched last Sunday. It is Saturday am and it is still bubbling about 1 every 4 to 6 seconds. I started with 3.9 lb Brewferm Grand Cru LME. I added 1lb of brewer's sugar (per the instructions). However I did not use the yeast that came with it. I used a WLP450 instead.

Is a long fermentation a bad thing?

nope, but only thing that can happen is it could come out a dryer tasting beer which I actually like. I add corn sugar to mine to do that very thing in allot of my pale ales

Thanks for the reply. Dryer is better IMHO too. Hopes run high for a good tasting batch.

So if your basic LME kit with an ABV in the 4.5 range has an "active" fermentation (perceivable bubbling) for 3 or 4 days I usually let it go for 2 weeks. Even though the SG stabilizes after about 7 days or so. Since the "active" fermentation is going longer logic dictates I should plan on a 3 week total time in the fermenter (based on SG readings of course). Does that logic hold?

the bubbling of the airlock really means nothing, fermentation can happen even without it so don't base your time off the airlock activity, base your time off the starting gravity of the beer or experience of that particular recipe and yeast variety

Just kegged my EPA @ day 18. I usually keg around day 14 +-. My Belgians go for minimum 21 days.

I have a stout that I brewed 2 weeks ago. I was going to keg it after 7 days when yeast action appeared complete. I didn't keg because we brewed a rootbeer for the kids for Thanksgiving. Nonplussed, I just left it on the cake. last night As I was going to bed I heard a blub from my fermentation chamber. I got up to look and sure enough the yeast was back at it. I don't plan on kegging until next week but I've never seen that happen before.

FYI, I use the kegs for a secondary and conditioning.

sometimes you just need to shake the carboy once and a while, yeast are lazy just like us and they take naps too, some times you just need to give them a nudge and say hey "get back to work"

just today had a stilled fermentation after 5 days 4" foam on top, nice white critters just sitting there doing nothing for 2 days, gravity was at 20 so toped off some of that goodness to flask and gave it a stir, they went back to work :)

Back