• Total voters

weazelwacker

Premium Member
Reaction score
Lets hear what ya got.

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: Russian Imperial Stout
Boil Time: 120 min
Batch Size: 8 gallons (ending kettle volume)
Boil Size: 12 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.051
Efficiency: 70% (ending kettle)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.076
Final Gravity: 1.015
ABV (standard): 8.07%
IBU (tinseth): 78.8
SRM (morey): 30.72

FERMENTABLES:
8 lb - American - Rye (33.3%)
1 lb - American - Roasted Barley (4.2%)
1 lb - American - Caramel / Crystal 120L (4.2%)
8 lb - United Kingdom - Maris Otter Pale (33.3%)
6 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (25%)

HOPS:
2 oz - Galena, Type: Pellet, AA: 13, Use: Boil for 30 min, IBU: 47.1
1 oz - Chinook, Type: Pellet, AA: 13, Use: Boil for 30 min, IBU: 23.55
1 oz - Fuggles, Type: Pellet, AA: 4.5, Use: Boil for 30 min, IBU: 8.15

2 # - BEETs Use: Boil for 30 minutes

YEAST:
Fermentis / Safale - American Ale Yeast US-05

Additional Yeast: Brettanomyces Brux
1# shredded beets and Brett added to secondary for 30 day.
age on Medium Oak Spirals for 6 months.

I say brew on. Where'd you get the idea to use beets?

I say brew on. Where'd you get the idea to use beets?

Was trying to come up with something different. I don't know what I want to get out of this beer, but I figured the beer Gods will decide. One way or another I plan on learning some things.

Awesome idea on the beets could be a crazy spin on light lager styles too than you for your inspiration.

I'm going to suggest roasting the beets to caramelize the sugars. Beets are pretty high in sugars so you'll get some reasonable fructose fermentation but you could also do some good with including them in the mash to further convert the starches. I'd consider doubling down and doing both.

I'm going to suggest roasting the beets to caramelize the sugars. Beets are pretty high in sugars so you'll get some reasonable fructose fermentation but you could also do some good with including them in the mash to further convert the starches. I'd consider doubling down and doing both.
I think JA's is a great idea: Straight beets you get color and sugar. But my suggestion, to preserve what little flavor they have, is to roast them and add them to secondary. I don't think they'd add a lot of anything flavor-wise, though. A question: I see bitter/oaky/beet/brett/roasty, can you describe for me what this should turn out to be? That's a lot of stuff working in there....

Reactions: J A
I think JA's is a great idea: Straight beets you get color and sugar. But my suggestion, to preserve what little flavor they have, is to roast them and add them to secondary. I don't think they'd add a lot of anything flavor-wise, though. A question: I see bitter/oaky/beet/brett/roasty, can you describe for me what this should turn out to be? That's a lot of stuff working in there....

I agree with you guys on roasting the beets, sounds like a good plan for the secondary addition. I have no idea what the flavor of this brew is going to be. Kinda just goina send it.

Had a beetroot and parsnip white stout recently. Still haven't had a white stout I really enjoy. This one at least was interesting. Wouldn't have picked up the parsnip if it wasn't on the label, but the beetroot was obviously there, but not over the top. Tasted very much like the steamed beetroot Mum used to make incessantly when we were kids.

No brewers around to ask questions as to how they did it, but it did say 50kg of beetroot and 100kg of parsnip in the batch. No guess as to batch size, so that's close to useless. The brewing system looks around that 500 litre size.

I've enjoyed several beers with beets. I haven't brewed with them myself so don't really have any pointers, but can vouch for good, earthy, beet root flavors and aromas that I really enjoyed. If you like beets and the rustic, earthy sweet flavors they bring, I'd go for it. They go great in a sour. Here's one I enjoyed awhile back:
What are you drinking right now?

I've had a couple beers with beets in them. They were horrible, but then again I don't like beets. The beers tasted like dirt since beets taste like dirt. Maybe roasting them will help. I would cut the beet amount in half. If it's not beety enough add more next time.

I've had a couple beers with beets in them. They were horrible, but then again I don't like beets. The beers tasted like dirt since beets taste like dirt. Maybe roasting them will help. I would cut the beet amount in half. If it's not beety enough add more next time.
Haha! I totally get that! If you don't like beets, I wouldn't think beer with beets would present themselves much better. It took me till my 40's before I could deal with beets. Now, I thoroughly enjoy them. But most of my life, I thought they tasted like dirt...and horrible nastiness also. Weird how tastes can change.

Made an ipa with beets recently. 2/3cup shredded for a 2 gallon batch, added to the boil at 5 min left. I'm kegging it tonight so hopefully it'll be carbed soon.

Samples indicate it's a good ipa, and it's a great red color. :) No discernable beet flavor that I can taste.

Made an ipa with beets recently. 2/3cup shredded for a 2 gallon batch, added to the boil at 5 min left. I'm kegging it tonight so hopefully it'll be carbed soon.

Samples indicate it's a good ipa, and it's a great red color. :) No discernable beet flavor that I can taste.

Please let us know how it turns out.

Gents, reporting back on brew, now called
Radegast's Funkin Midnight Stout

final recipe was:
Rye 15.4%
Crystal Rye 15.4%
Roasted Barley 3.8%
Crystal 120L 3.8%
Pale 2-Row 23.1%
Chocolate 3.8%
Rice Hulls 3.8%
Maris Otter Pale 30.8%

2 oz Galena Pellet 30 min
1 oz Chinook Pellet 15 min
1 oz Fuggles Pellet 15 min

OG: 1.087

Brewed 0000 at 26° on the 15th of FEB 2019.
Primary ended on the 25th of FEB 2019
Transferred to secondary. Added Brett.
(used two types as both where past their use by date, and they where the only two the LHBS had in stock.)

Added shredded beets (2 lbs. 13 oz.) on 28 FEB 2019 @2030.

racked off beets on 17 Mar. onto 2 oz medium American oak (soaked in Jameson 30 days)

Noticed pelical had formed around 20 April.

Currently plan to add sugar an a small amount of EC1118 to a keg and let it carb/age as I will be out of town for 7 or so weeks.

I also pulled a small beer of of this and brewed a clam stout, it was delicious

Did you end up roasting the beets or using them raw?

Just got back in town. Beer carbbed nicely in the keg over the last 7 weeks. Its got a nice funky, earthy, sweet beet nose. Taste starts with a sharp pungent almost a "burnt" funkiness with a strong hint of beets the melt quickly into a very rich almost 90% coca baking chocolate finish that lingers for a while.

I will be entering this into a comp next month, so we will see what others think. Entering it under the category of brett beer.

Attachments

• 15625159973123839894211644882771.jpg
    15625159973123839894211644882771.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 74

Back