What did you get delivered today

It doesn’t matter what kind of equipment you use the end product is all that matters. It’s like judging someone on the car they drive! It gets you there right.

Tell that to my arm when I try to reach in and clean the inside of my regular glass carboy. I can fit 15 bales of hay in the back of my truck, and not so much in my car. For me, what I use, ease, and practicality matter.

It's more what won't get delivered today. Ordered a Stainless hop spider that was supposed to be delivered today. Got an email last night that it was being returned by the USPS because the package was damaged. Guess I'll just reorder it.
upload_2018-10-12_5-18-52.jpeg

Figured since I whirlpool a spider hanging against the side of the kettle would get more wort flowing past it than my current one that hangs in the center.

It's more what won't get delivered today. Ordered a Stainless hop spider that was supposed to be delivered today. Got an email last night that it was being returned by the USPS because the package was damaged. Guess I'll just reorder it. View attachment 4084

Figured since I whirlpool a spider hanging against the side of the kettle would get more wort flowing past it than my current one that hangs in the center.

I have one I use for leaf hops during the boil and whirlpool. I also stick the end of the hose inside it when transferring from the mash tun to the Kettle in case any little kernels try to escape.

those are designed for leaf hops, pellet hops clog and it becomes unusable

That would explain why I had such a poor experience with the one I had.

It's more what won't get delivered today. Ordered a Stainless hop spider that was supposed to be delivered today. Got an email last night that it was being returned by the USPS because the package was damaged. Guess I'll just reorder it. View attachment 4084

I use something similar for pellets and it works okay. Just need to lift it out and let it drain occasionally. Wash it with PBW after every use. When I pull it out I hang it above the boil kettle to let all the goodness drain out. I like the idea Chico mentioned, using it as a strainer from the mash tun! Why didn’t I think of that...:confused: I can’t wait for next year when my garden hops are ready.

That would explain why I had such a poor experience with the one I had.
Had...meaning you got rid of it?
I'm looking for one to try out.....might convince myself to buy one eventually

I gave it to a buddy of mine that lives down on the south side, I don't know if he ever used it.

I use something similar for pellets and it works okay. Just need to lift it out and let it drain occasionally. Wash it with PBW after every use. When I pull it out I hang it above the boil kettle to let all the goodness drain out. I like the idea Chico mentioned, using it as a strainer from the mash tun! Why didn’t I think of that...:confused: I can’t wait for next year when my garden hops are ready.

I like the adjustability of yours. Just got one and haven't used it yet. The one I got isn't adjustable for kettle depth, but is about an inch off of the bottom. I added a bracket to hold it close to the side of the kettle so it's in the stream when recirculating. Will be trying it out next week.
Strainer1.jpg
Strainer2.jpg

A little fab work is good stress relief:)

I started a total rework of my ghetto system today. Pics later.

Last edited:
A little fab work is good stress relief:)

I started a total rework of my getto system today. Pics later.

Hope everything comes out according to plan.
BTDT. I'm going to upgrade to a bigger MLT in the spring. Outside of that I'm in good shape.

Get your Epsom Salt(MgSo4) and Canning Salt(NaCl) at Walmart for a fraction of what you'd pay at the LHBS. Just be sure to get 100% Magnesium sulfate. There are Epsom Salts with all kinds of additives.

Thanks Bob. Fwiw I had a 125 gallon Reef aquarium for a long time. Salt water aquariums for 25 years. I used to buy calcium chloride and soda ash and magnesium sulfate in five Gallon Buckets. That's why I have the RO/DI unit too. Hobbies I love them

Last edited:
Pickle Crisp in the canning aisle is your go to for CaCL. NaCL is table salt isn't it? I found Gypsum at the Chinese grocery, it's used in tofu somehow.

Table salt has iodine in it. Canning salt doesn't. Didn't know about the pickle crisp though,

Back