First Wort Addition

Craigerrr

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Just wondering what difference there is between a first wort addition and a 60 minute addition.

Honestly I don't notice any difference in taste/smoothness of the bitterness but I do find it's just easier, less likely to boil over, and I get to use slightly less hops for the same IBU.

Simple...I like simple.

I FWH just about everything because it has become part of my routine. I started wayback when I was on a Simcoe hop kick, it seemed to take a bit of edge of that hop.

I've used FWH a few times but since I use a 90 minute boil, it's a little harder to figure out actual IBU contribution. Since I get most of my IBUs later in the boil, I mostly don't worry about FWH and just do a reasonable 60 minute addition. I can't say that it made a better beer but I'm sure it didn't hurt it. Some brewers swear by it but I can take it or leave it.

I started mash hopping years ago then stopped for my dog, hops are toxic to dogs so now I throw it in the boil kettle even before my wort touches it and since I have no hardness in my brewing water it's not bitter at all

That's basically how I do it.

Before I went BIAB, that is what I would do, get them in the boil kettle during set up

Thanks guys, appreciate the education!

After discussing this topic with a former professional brewer in town, he said he likes the FWH because of how it is a little more delicate on the hops initially. I've started using this as I feel i get a better extract and I don't have to use high AA hops at 60 minutes to achieve target bitterness.

Back