• Primary fermentation

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Primary fermentation

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

RIBrewer

Trial Member
Reaction score
Please, If someone can to help me with advice.

I added the yeast and primary fermentation began. The optimal fermentation temperature for that yeast (Mangrove Jack - Bavarian Lager M76) is about 10 C and my temperature of fermentation was 20 C. Fermentation began the second day and was quite fast. The foam was created and it was for a day. OG is 1.08 and FG is 1.04. The beer is a bit blurry and the co2 is no longer created. Everything happened in 2 days. Did I make a mistake with the fermentation temperature and your opinion can beer go into bottles to carbonization (secundary fermnetation)? Is this promptness of fermentation normal? Will it be blurry in bottles or not?

Thank you in advance

Fermentation fired quickly because as you expected the high ferment temperature. It would of been higher than 20c in fermentor by thermal heat created by yeast in fermentation. Dont bottle yet. Let the beer sit for at least another week or more to give the yeast time to clean up after itself and hopefully make it more drinkable.
It will be blurry for some time some cold conditioning will help to drop the haze.

Yes, your fermentation temperature is much too high.
Some lager yeasts will perform relatively well at higher temperatures, but it's very likely that you'll have something much more akin to an ale with plenty of fruity esters in the flavor rather than clean, malty lager.
Definitely don't rush it. Let it sit for at least a couple of weeks. If your FG is not a typo, it's not anywhere near finished. Going from 1.080 ( a very high OG for most lager styles) to 1.040 indicates that it's only halfway through fermentation. I don't know what sort of calculator or instructions you're using but you should have a target FG that's nearer to 1.015.
Just leave it alone and then check it again in a couple of weeks.

It's probably not done fermenting. If you are using bucket sometimes as fermentation slows the co2 will find another path out around the lid.

Take an SG reading in a week and see what it says then - in any case don't bottle or anything yet!

Guys, thanks

I'll wait another 3 to 4 days before loading into bottles. If FG is constant, can I go to the filling bottle?

Guys, thanks

I'll wait another 3 to 4 days before loading into bottles. If FG is constant, can I go to the filling bottle?

Usually yes but if it's still at 1.040 I would be a little worried about a possible stuck fermentation which could lead to bottle bombs if it restarts once you mix it around into the bottles. I would give it a week, take a measurement, and then again 2 days after that to make sure it's constant. The end of fermentation takes longer than the start, especially given the relatively higher OG and rising Alcohol levels. Good luck!

^^^ What he said...
I'd never bottle a .040 beer. If the yeast is dead it won't carb at all (I've had that happen) and if it's active and catches a little O2 from transfer it could take off and blow.

Back