Problem calculating gravity from refractometer reading

jfspahn

Premium Member
Reaction score
When I enter a refractometer reading in the brew log, I get different values for the gravity, depending on whether I’m adding a “sample” entry or a “other” entry. It looks like the alcohol correction isn’t being included.

upload_2018-10-6_11-30-27.jpeg

upload_2018-10-6_11-30-46.jpeg

I opened a ticket for this issue- thank you so much for reporting it, along with the screenshots.

When I enter a refractometer reading in the brew log, I get different values for the gravity, depending on whether I’m adding a “sample” entry or a “other” entry. It looks like the alcohol correction isn’t being included.

View attachment 4046

View attachment 4047

What are you expecting here? Are you are saying the corrected value of 1.011 is wrong in the first screen shot? What should it be?

What are you expecting here? Are you are saying the corrected value of 1.011 is wrong in the first screen shot? What should it be?
I expect that the software will give the same result for the same input. In the second screen shot, it is not applying the alcohol correction. This is an error. The correct value is 1.011.

I expect that the software will give the same result for the same input. In the second screen shot, it is not applying the alcohol correction. This is an error. The correct value is 1.011.

What if you change the event to Sample instead of Other? It won't use the correction if it's not there.

What if you change the event to Sample instead of Other? It won't use the correction if it's not there.
Sure I could work around the problem. That’s what I ended up doing (see first image) after I noticed that my gravity had apparently jumped, But the software is not consistent. Choosing “Other” gives me the option of using a refractometer reading, but does not calculate the gravity in a way consistent with the rest of the software. I chose “Other” because I was adding an ingredient (hops) during the middle of fermentation, not simply taking a sample of the beer. The correction should be present in both cases.

We do have a ticket on this, and are working on it. We see the problem and will be fixing it- thank you for the report!

We do have a ticket on this, and are working on it. We see the problem and will be fixing it- thank you for the report!
Thanks. Brewer’s Friend generally works very well & this bug surprised. I’m just glad there’s a workaround.

Thanks. Brewer’s Friend generally works very well & this bug surprised. I’m just glad there’s a workaround.

I'll keep you posted as to when this is fixed- it's funny I never noticed it before so we appreciate the report.

Back