First All Grain is bubbling ...

MrBIP

Premium Member
Reaction score
Well there it is ... it's in the fermenter and I already saw a bubble (about 40 minutes after pitching yeast :D ).
Brewers Friend has been an outstanding resource in this new hobby, really glad I found it. So much information and support here; not sure this would have all gone as smooth without it. One year subscription running out in about a month and there's no doubt I'm re-upping that! Thanks Larry and all!

MrBIP

40 minutes after pitching? How much yeast did you pitch? That could be a record short lag time....

Congrats on the first all-grain batch, the next step on the brewer's journey (and thanks, I think you just gave me the title of my first brewing book).

Nosybear said:
How much yeast did you pitch?

I've been making starters using the 1.0 pitch rate; this one actually said I was 20B short (wanted 297, but should have only had 277). Last beer I made, saw the first burp at about 1 hour, 20 min.

Glad to have inspired a book title, I'll expect to receive a signed copy of that when it comes out. ;)

That is an incredibly short lag.... What yeast are you using? I'm generally happy if mine's bubbling the next day!

if your starter is at high krausen and is close to the same gravity as the wort and the temperatures are the same, you will get almost immediate bubbles within an hour or so, I do it all the time course your timing has to be right on and it helps not to be plastered lol

the key is lots of oxygen

These are the 2 minute bubbles; it's not super active, but it will be by morning, if not by the end of the evening.
US-05 yeast for this one.
But, in the last three brews, I have seen first bubbles within 2 hours.
I decanted as best I could, but it was well settled; when I swirled it around, it spewed a bit at me, so perhaps I accidentally hit that good timing on this one. .. or maybe there's some kind of crazy wild stuff in there and it's not even the US05 making the bubbles :shock:

RDWHAHB. All is likely well, I'm just amazed at the lag time. Of course, I don't check on mine until the next day so I have no idea what my lag time actually is! If you've seen these results in the past and didn't change anything other than making the wort yourself, all is well.

I'm looking at 'em every half hour or so until I see something, just can't help myself. It's got good bubbles now, about 2 or 3 seconds apart. Now would be a good time for a homebrew, or two.

Congrats on the AG! I just bottled my first AG today, cant wait for it to carb up!

Moving to AG is like going from a betty crocker cake mix to making a cake from scratch :lol: much more satisfaction for me.

I too find myself checking for airlock activity constantly, glad to know I am not alone.

MrBip

That's Wierd. Today I did my most successful, stress free AG, done in record time. Hit all my numbers on the nose without any mishaps. ( well, my mash temp was a bit off, but what the hey...)

During the brew, I was thinking the exact sentiments of your post. This is by far the best brew site on the web. A great community, excellent tools, and invaluable information.

Can't imagine how I would improve upon it.

Kudos Larry. I wonder what you think of how this site has evolved? You should be extremely proud.

olywrestle said:
Moving to AG is like going from a betty crocker cake mix to making a cake from scratch

exactly

I just racked a stout from primary to keg and in the same day brewed another stout that I racked right onto the yeast cake. Started to see activity in +/-30 minutes.

Never that fast from a starter though.

Well, perhaps this would explain the quick start last week:
With my irish moss at 15 minutes, I decided to add some yeast nutrient (JD Carlson, which is urea and diammonium phosphate).
Bottle says 1tsp per gallon, so I put 5 tsp in .. well it says 1tsp per gallon of MUST ... for wine ... so maybe I way over did it for lower gravity WORT? I've taken two samples and it's nearing the finish line and it doesn't taste funky.
I used it again today, but only 2 tsp.

Back