Air lock activity

UB2

Trial Member
Reaction score
Just had my stout ferment like crazy for 24 hours. Used a starter as I generally do, temperature controlled. This time instead of a slow deceleration it stopped completely by the time I checked after work today, just 30 hours after putting it in the primary. Should I rack?

I would check the gravity first, also some times bubbles stop but beer is still fermenting, could have a loose lid too

UB2 said:
Just had my stout ferment like crazy for 24 hours. Used a starter as I generally do, temperature controlled. This time instead of a slow deceleration it stopped completely by the time I checked after work today, just 30 hours after putting it in the primary. Should I rack?

In 2 weeks to a bottling bucket.

Brian

I'll agree with the above two. Check gravity and then let it sit for a couple more days and check gravity again. Just letting that yeast grab the last of the sugars. Nothing wrong with letting it sit.

The Brew Mentor said:
UB2 said:

In 2 weeks to a bottling bucket.

Brian
:lol: clever. But I agree.

I remember a couple of times I had the krausen seal the top air tight and didn't allow the co2 to escape

I notice when I'm fermenting in buckets, I often don't get airlock activity. I get beer, as evidenced by the end product, but the airlock never bubbles. The problem is leaks, not fermentation. The bucket lid is a large area to seal and seldom seals well. The drill hole for the airlock sometimes leaks. Even in carboys, there have been times I could see the wort going like crazy but no airlock activity due to a leak somewhere. This is not a problem - the gasses are blowing anything out and bacteria can't swim.

Back