Mangrove Jack's Yeast

BOB357

Trial Member
Reaction score
Used Mangrove Jack's M-36 Liberty Bell in a Chinook Rye IPA I brewed today. When necessary, I rehydrate and then make a starter when using dry yeasts. Curious about their specific recommendation for rehydrating procedure, I went to the MJ web site and found that they caution against reuse of their yeasts.

Anybody had experience in reuse of their yeasts?

Thanks for the reply. Sales ploy gets my vote. Although I seldom reuse dry yeasts, was wondering if there was anything specific about MJ yeasts that made them less desirable for repitching.

Bob, I've used the M21, M31 and M41 haven't had a chance to try re-pitching one but David Heath has a great video showing the process of yeast drying this might be ideal for the Mangrove Jack's line. Also he is a professional brewer and post some of his wonderful recipes of which I've brewed several of.

theres a guy on home-brew talk who is washing safe ale dry yeast after a brew and he says 2nd and 3rd brews are even better and YOOPER who is on here, does it also, same site.
I was thinking about trying it too. actually I will as thats all my yeast supply gone and 19$ for liquid is too much!
good luck.
I just top cropped some so will let you know in a few weeks on my next brew if it works

Last edited:
I very often repitch on yeast leftover from a dry-pitch batch. I've used a couple of MJ yeasts but I don't think I've used or repitched.
It's very possible that if some of their strains are a blend of yeasts or in some way not a very pure strain, second or third generation pitches could lead to pretty different results from the first. If you were able to get clean reproduction through a number of generations from a single pack of dry yeast, eventually you'd get to the most homogeneous version containing the most successfully competitive organisms and it would be very much the same from one pitch to the next.

Bob, I've used the M21, M31 and M41 haven't had a chance to try re-pitching one but David Heath has a great video showing the process of yeast drying this might be ideal for the Mangrove Jack's line. Also he is a professional brewer and post some of his wonderful recipes of which I've brewed several of.

Thanks. NO. Mostly just curious to se if anyone has had success reusing MJ yeasts. I know many dry yeasts are better when reused.

I very often repitch on yeast leftover from a dry-pitch batch. I've used a couple of MJ yeasts but I don't think I've used or repitched.
It's very possible that if some of their strains are a blend of yeasts or in some way not a very pure strain, second or third generation pitches could lead to pretty different results from the first. If you were able to get clean reproduction through a number of generations from a single pack of dry yeast, eventually you'd get to the most homogeneous version containing the most successfully competitive organisms and it would be very much the same from one pitch to the next.

Thanks J A. That is a possibility I didn't think of.

Reactions: J A
theres a guy on home-brew talk who is washing safe ale dry yeast after a brew and he says 2nd and 3rd brews are even better and YOOPER who is on here, does it also, same site.
I was thinking about trying it too. actually I will as thats all my yeast supply gone and 19$ for liquid is too much!
good luck.
I just top cropped some so will let you know in a few weeks on my next brew if it works

I have reused Safale US-05 many times. Thanks for the reply.

Reactions: J A
I used BRY-97 which is the Danstar "equivalent' for about 25 batches of beer before I stopped and that was only to try something else. I bought 1 pack of dry yeast for that whole time.

I used BRY-97 which is the Danstar "equivalent' for about 25 batches of beer before I stopped and that was only to try something else. I bought 1 pack of dry yeast for that whole time.

Thanks for the reply HB. I've never used BRY-97, but have a couple of packs that will be used soon. Hopefully, it will replace US-05 for me. I have no doubts as to the reusability of BRY-97 or most other yeasts. Just looking for anything pro or con on the reuse of MJ yeasts. Their stand against reuse is odd, to say the least.

Thanks for the reply HB. I've never used BRY-97, but have a couple of packs that will be used soon. Hopefully, it will replace US-05 for me. I have no doubts as to the reusability of BRY-97 or most other yeasts. Just looking for anything pro or con on the reuse of MJ yeasts. Their stand against reuse is odd, to say the least.

it's good yeast and very clean, it does strip some hop flavor so I use it for anything except hoppy beer

it's good yeast and very clean, it does strip some hop flavor so I use it for anything except hoppy beer

Thanks. Ozarks. Probably going to try it in a Jalapeño Kolsch. Got the Jalapeño tincture started already.

this is the m29 top croped last night and some more about half a hour ago, so still settling. probably a total of about 20 tablespoons fished out of the jerry.
I guess the top non yeast stuff that will eventually become trub will sink?? some shooting stars from the bottom as you can see.
looking around the computor I can't see mj yeast being any weaker or less reproductive than any other yeast. from what I can see its doing the correct things? please correct if not... banking on this for my next beer..
:rolleyes:

Attachments

• IMG_20181004_204725.jpg
    IMG_20181004_204725.jpg
    515.2 KB · Views: 238
I've never top cropped so I can't say for sure but all of mine have the sediment settle to the bottom, though sometimes I have to swirl everything back into suspension. I kind of suspect you will have less sendiment that way but I have no science to back that up.

for about six months I was having larger than normal krausen and it was pushing out my blow off so I found a way to save it just like top cropping without opening the fermenter

The new world strong ale yeast works great when repitched. That's the only one I have experience with though.

Thanks Hogarthe. I've got a pack of it and will be sure to harvest when I brew with it.

Back