Session Rye - Malted or Flaked?

Out of curiosity, are you using some type of heat element in your kettle? With capabilities to control the heat? Just asking cause with a large rye percentage like yours, I've burned up elements. It's fairly common if you do a search I'm sure you'll find threads on it. I never thought about it till it happened to me. It usually doesn't happen or noticeable till later in the boil. Just a heads up.
And I know most say you can't get a stuck 'sparge' with biab, but I disagree. If you've got a good quality bag, and go to lift it out and get very little to no drainage, it makes for no fun. I got to where I added rice hulls with grain bills with lots of grain like wheat and rye.

Last edited:
Just thought I'd mention it. I was down an element and a batch.

dropped the amount of Rye to 1lb(12%).

from what I have been able to find, flaked is the least troublesome and provides more flavor.
would flaked rye benefit from a B-Glucan rest, say 110f for 15-20 min?

did the rye burn to the element during the mash, or was it a product of the boil?
and I have a 280micron bag, so I can always add a handful of rice hulls.

T

I believe it's the b-glucan that collects on the element during the boil. I think @Ozarks Mountain Brew referred me to a thread on HBT when it happened to me. I think if you can dial your heat down, you would be alright, and I've never had any other issues with any other grains.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/ebiab-rye-ipa-scorched-for-the-third-time.543025/

Thanks, a good read for sure.
I seem to have either remembered my malted/flaked rye facts wrong or found contradicting information on the internet (who would have thought).

I feel good about reducing the rye to a pound, with only the crystal to compete with I think it will still come through. I might see if i can protine rest just the rye, need to see what kinda pots I have around the house, I figure 1 pound in 2-3 gallons will keep it thin enough to save the bottom of the pan, and just put it in the oven to mash for 30-45 min.

T

We probably read some of the same material on the addition of rye to beers. I didn't ever find a complete consensus but more people do seem to lean towards rye malt. I add both malted (16%) and flaked rye (3%) to my rye IPA. That's a fair amount of rye, but to stand out I think its needed in a bitter, hoppy brew. Given your recipe, 12.5% is probably a good starting point.

We probably read some of the same material on the addition of rye to beers. I didn't ever find a complete consensus but more people do seem to lean towards rye malt. I add both malted (16%) and flaked rye (3%) to my rye IPA. That's a fair amount of rye, but to stand out I think its needed in a bitter, hoppy brew. Given your recipe, 12.5% is probably a good starting point.

Any issue with the mash or boil?

Any issue with the mash or boil?

Nope, no issues. I toss a handful of rice hulls in with the mash. My mash tun is a false bottomed fireable kettle with a circulation system. A simple RIMS setup. I haven't had a stuck mash with it yet. I use a fireable boil kettle too so I can't provide any guidance in regards to the electrical part of your system.

If I'm using rye malt, I always mill it separately from the rest of the grain bill. Rye kernels are smaller than barley and have no husk. I close my mill gap to crush them better then adjust it back for the rest of the grains. I've used both flaked and malted in my rye beers. I've haven't noticed much difference in the finished products. Flaked is far easier to use, especially if you can't adjust your mill gap. I mash out with one gallon of boiling water before I batch sparge. I've never had a problem with a stuck run-off.

Back