Mash Chemistry and Brewing Water Calculator v1.6 behaving strangely

Brewer #116488

Trial Member
Reaction score
I'm having a lot of issues with this new version leading me to not being able to trust that the calculations are correct any more. This post is regarding the pH calculations as well as the water volumes.

Steps to reproduce:

1. From the recipe, click the Link button:

1.PNG

2. In the Water Volumes section, change the mash and sparge water volumes:

2.PNG

3. Select your Source Water, Water Target Selection and input some numbers into Salt Additions:

4.PNG

4. Open up Acid Additions and do the following:

5.PNG

5. Save/update

6. Back to the recipe, click the Update recipe button:

6.PNG

7. Now, refresh the calculator page, the Unit Preference is gone and the Acid amount suddenly changes:

9.PNG

7.PNG

8. Click the Add 3.53 ml link, save and then refresh again and this happens:

8.PNG

I'm having a lot of issues with this new version leading me to not being able to trust that the calculations are correct any more. This post is regarding the pH calculations as well as the water volumes.

Steps to reproduce:

1. From the recipe, click the Link button:

View attachment 3939

2. In the Water Volumes section, change the mash and sparge water volumes:

View attachment 3940

3. Select your Source Water, Water Target Selection and input some numbers into Salt Additions:

View attachment 3942

4. Open up Acid Additions and do the following:

View attachment 3943

5. Save/update

6. Back to the recipe, click the Update recipe button:

View attachment 3944

7. Now, refresh the calculator page, the Unit Preference is gone and the Acid amount suddenly changes:

View attachment 3948
View attachment 3946

8. Click the Add 3.53 ml link, save and then refresh again and this happens:

View attachment 3947

if you refresh the page with ?recipeId= in the URL it will create a new calc for that recipe. We've change this so after first save it will change the URL in case you refresh. I think the issues you were seeing were due to this.

I'm just chiming in here to say that I've also had issues with the water calculator. When I clicked from my recipe to the calculator to work out my water additions, the baseline pH for my recipe was way off. I then noticed that it had somehow included 4 gallons of sparge water in my recipe, despite the mash section of my recipe being configured properly for no-sparge. I removed the 4 gallons of sparge water from the water calc page, but it didn't make any difference. I suspected the calculated pH was far too low for the recipe, so I used the Bru'n Water spreadsheet to verify, and that gave me results that were more in line with what I expected. I can try to provide some steps to reproduce if necessary, but there's a bug or two in there for sure.

I have had the same type of issue. I had a discrepancy on the mash pH between the water calculator and the recipe. I don't know what I did, but eventually it was somehow corrected.

The recipe is a calculator, and the water calculator is a calculator. Would it make sense to have the water be part of the recipe instead of going back and forth trying to get the water calculator data to update in the recipe?

The updates are great, I am just struggling a bit to get things to update properly.

it's best to create a new recipe and not use an old one with an old water report added

Im having issues as well. I like Craigs idea of placing the water report in with the main recipe.

it's best to create a new recipe and not use an old one with an old water report added

The issues I am having are with a brand new recipe that was just created. The recipe was not previously attached to any other water calculations. Even before creating water calculations, the pH on the recipe page was very inaccurate.

I am also working with a newly entered recipe, and newly created water profile. As I am making adjustments, the water calculator keeps defaulting back to strange water volumes, total volume (8.5), mash, (8.5), sparge (4.0). I update the water volumes, total (8.5) mash (7.0), sparge (1.5), but the next time I look at it, it has changed back to (8.5), (8.5), (4.0). The mash and sparge volumes total 12.5.
Maybe I am doing something wrong, or missing something.
TIA
Craigerr

Ive noticed when reopening a recipe the "other ingredients" are scrabbled or not in the order i had them before. Sometimes the Lactic acid ingredient I submitted before is gone and i have to add it again then I have to fight all over again to get the PH right.

I am also working with a newly entered recipe, and newly created water profile. As I am making adjustments, the water calculator keeps defaulting back to strange water volumes, total volume (8.5), mash, (8.5), sparge (4.0). I update the water volumes, total (8.5) mash (7.0), sparge (1.5), but the next time I look at it, it has changed back to (8.5), (8.5), (4.0). The mash and sparge volumes total 12.5.
Maybe I am doing something wrong, or missing something.
TIA
Craigerr

are you clicking save/update after changing the water volumes on the water calc?

The issues I am having are with a brand new recipe that was just created. The recipe was not previously attached to any other water calculations. Even before creating water calculations, the pH on the recipe page was very inaccurate.

I think this has been fixed- can you please try again, and let me know how it goes? I'll test here on my end as well.

Sorry, I don't see any difference, the mash pH numbers are not jiving, and the water volumes keep defaulting back to numbers other than what I entered like I noted in my earlier post.

Looks to be working for me now with the exception of recipes where I custom add Sinimar as a late addition. It would be nice to see Sinimar added to the malt list.

I will try creating a new recipe, and see how that works.

I'm having issue with new recipes/water calcs today.

- Create a new recipe, save
- Click link under water calc, fill in the water info, click save/update
- On the recipe, click update, recipe shows it is linked to the water calc and the info is populated in the recipe
- Click edit under water calc on the recipe and it opens an empty water calc instead of the one I just filled in.

I'm having issue with new recipes/water calcs today.

- Create a new recipe, save
- Click link under water calc, fill in the water info, click save/update
- On the recipe, click update, recipe shows it is linked to the water calc and the info is populated in the recipe
- Click edit under water calc on the recipe and it opens an empty water calc instead of the one I just filled in.

Seems to be working today.

Yes, we've pushed out a few fixes. Please let me know ASAP if any weirdness continues or if there are any problems at all with the software. Thanks for your patience!

Back