trying to put together my first recipe. Mango Habanero IPA

Two questions: Why are you using both two-row and pale ale malt? Just use the Pale Ale and skip the 2-row. Next, why so bitter? If I were desiging a habanero beer, I'd go rather mild on the hops and let the peppers do the talking. Your recipe has a lot of sweetness so rather than muddying things with a lot of bitterness, why not go for more of a "pepper jelly" effect, sweet and hot. An observation: Munich and Crystal are different flavors. If you're going for Continental maltiness, the Munich is quite good but in this beer, I'd lose it in favor of the Crystal. Or replace the Crystal with something like Caramunich, just a personal preference.

The friend with the peppers likes IPA, I can definitely lose some of the bitterness though.

I thought I messed with the grains too much, just putting in what I've like from other batches I've brewed, I'll lose the 2 row and until I get the hang of it keep it simple.

The friend with the peppers likes IPA, I can definitely lose some of the bitterness though.

I thought I messed with the grains too much, just putting in what I've like from other batches I've brewed, I'll lose the 2 row and until I get the hang of it keep it simple.
Good plan! I've made chipotle pepper beer - I used a very malty backbone (crystal, not Munich), English yeast, low IBUs and no hop flavor. I also used some smoked malt and roasted Poblanos to simulate some of the chipotle flavor without the heat. It's great with Cajun food! Good luck with the beer and by all means, share how it comes out.

Back