Show your DIY Projects

LOL, thanks @Trialben , A properly varnished piece of timber looks good in a lot of ways, be it a collar or tower...
Mobility sounds pretty cool. I seen some keezers on wheels, with such a tower, and in fact is where the idea came from! I am thinking of putting a bigger bar top style piece of timber on the top....maybe one day

Working on the Wort Chiller Mk2. This one is using an AC unit and RV Antifreeze.

I'm about to test it on a 10 Gallon batch.

2GEK8Xz.jpg

How'd that turn out? What set temp do you run at for the glycol bath?
Is this replacing your drum for the immersion coil?

It works ok, but it can't handle a 10G batch. At least not all the heat. What i've started doing is bringing it down to around 30-35C with the drum and then using this to bring it down to pitching temps. I'm running into a problem where my IC doesn't exchange heat effectively enough for the last 15C or so and my wife is buying me a Jaded Hydra chiller for my birthday which should hopefully fix that problem. I should do a recording of my process sometime.

try whirlpooling down to 170F, before you start then run it through very slow, I do that with ice and the last 3 gallons is the worst but I get it down to at least 75F most days

Yeah volume is a big part of it too, just due to heat capacity. Neat that you have it working though!

Of your running glycol, why not run it down to 14F, might get your temps down a bit faster. The RV antifreeze will start to freeze up IC below 12F I'm case you're curious.

I'm using RV antifreeze and it starts to freeze up around -10C. The problem mainly is heat transfer, I'm doing a lot of 10G (well 42L) batches and that's a roughly 12:1 heat exchange so it cools great initially, then it's at 50C and I have to wait for it to cool back down.

Using the 60 gallon drum of water moves it to a 1:6 ratio and even with 20C water I can get it down to around 45C before I run into issues. Then having the -10C coolant to swap over to makes a big difference.

Lol I though you had deg F, but turns out I misread it . All good, I'll stick to C haha!

LOL, thanks @Trialben , A properly varnished piece of timber looks good in a lot of ways, be it a collar or tower...
Mobility sounds pretty cool. I seen some keezers on wheels, with such a tower, and in fact is where the idea came from! I am thinking of putting a bigger bar top style piece of timber on the top....maybe one day
Mine is on castors ATM but not big enough thats the ferm chamber next freezer will be hopefully (dreaming now) big enough to accommodate 6kegs 3 on tap 3 conditioning giving them time to lager as i never lager long:rolleyes:.
Bigger stronger castors too on new freezer and a stronger frame than the left overs... this aggregate concrete is a bitch to roll on.
Oh see that keg on the right its older than you and me its an antique made in Melbourne Aus by (Rheem) now a big plumbing company in Aus. But has Coca cola log on and screw in lid made in 1960's:eek:!

Attachments

• 20180830_170358.jpg
    20180830_170358.jpg
    443.3 KB · Views: 219
Wow, 1960s! That's cool! Yeah, you have more patience than me to roll around on that. I have been getting better with lagering (though I haven't in some time now). I found once I got my keg count > 5, I had way more patience to let things hang around longer. Space is a commodity, but lucky for me I have lots of that.

temp_control.jpg

I don't have room for a fridge but I found this project on BYO.com. I use two frozen 2 liter bottles and water in the cooler. I also wrap the bucket in an old coat for insulation. I tested it out with water and I can maintain 58 degrees for 13 hours before I have to swap out the frozen bottles. That's good enough for the kolsch I want to make this week :)

yes but yeast heat up 10 degrees sometimes, that will work for most ales I suspect

yes but yeast heat up 10 degrees sometimes, that will work for most ales I suspect

That's a good point. I didn't factor that in. I'm pretty sure I can get it colder if I need to though. I just aimed for 58 degrees because that's the temp for the kolsch recipe I have.

You'll probably still get 258 easy however have to change your bottles more often so just keep a closer eye that's all

My bottling rig (3 gal keg, CO2 and wand) fill keg, purge then add 1lb of pressure and fill

bottling-setup.jpeg

Got my Brewery sink done. I hope to replicate this same idea and incorporate it into a keezer build do the timber bench top ontop of the freezer lid with a font or two and clad it with timber and mini Orb time will tell:).
20180929_173156.jpg

Back